Day with the son

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
dvw86

Day with the son

Post by dvw86 »

So we got some more shooting time in today in the back yard after church. We used the Ruger LCP, the Browning 1911-380 and my Rossi 92 in 44 magnum.

The Rossi just had an action job on it and this was the first time that I really got to try different loads through it since. Everything fed flawlessly, even the 200 grain hollow points. I didn't try any XTPs yet though. In the past I have had issues with those wanting to feed. Next time I'll be sure to give them a try. My son really liked the light loads of a 250 grain SWC over 6.4 grains of Universal. They were nice and pleasant to shoot. All the shells ejected at your feet and none of them went into orbit. The Leopold 2 power scout scope was great, even at close range. Many thanks to RD and they guys on this forum for helping me get this rifle to where it is now.

For the 380s we used up the rest of the over sized hand cast rounds that I knew would be a problem. The Ruger actually fed them better than the Browning. However, my son loved the Browning over the Ruger. He really struggled with the trigger pull on the LCP. I think that he is now a 1911 fan for life. It was actually kind of good to give him rounds that I knew would be a problem. It gave me the opportunity to teach him how to safely handle a jam and other such non-routine situations.

One other nice trick that my Dad just taught me was to lay out a tarp on the ground. This was awesome and made for easy shell recovery. We live in the woods and a little 380 shell falling into a mix of pine needles, snow and dirt are better at disappearing than David Copperfield.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Day with the son

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

No subtle way to give a thumbs up, so except this as a thanks for sharing
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good deal, nothing like sharing the shooting skill with another especially a son or daughter.

I laid a "handgun" pad at my pistol berm. Crushed rock and brought in a road roller to flatten and compress it. Still use a tarp on top of it for 25, 32, and 380 Auto. Them little buggers can get into the smallest places.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Tried a tarp once but hot brass in the Texas sun melted it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

With me it was the g.son. We'd shoot usually on Saturday mornings then stop
at the local Bar-B-Que place for their "special" on the way home. Some great
times and he always bettered me.
Now he's all grown up and working nights so we don't get to do that anymore.
Still meet after church for Sunday lunch.

10-4 on those 380s being hard to find especially if the head stamp is down.
I think that is the only caliber that I come home with less than I brought.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns