Looking for a new 44 load for Whitetail

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
dvw86

Looking for a new 44 load for Whitetail

Post by dvw86 »

A few years ago I bought a 44 magnum barrel for my Rossi Wizard and a box of 180 grain PMC hollow points. I was just switching from a 50 cal flintlock shooting all lead hollow point conicals and was looking for an approximately equivalent replacement. After sighting it in I used them to take a whitetail. Boy was I impressed. The second year was just as impressive. It was so impressive that my wife refused to use the Rossi 243 single shot that she and my son had been using for quite some time. Now my wife and son had a hard time shouldering the Wizard so I sold it for a Handi Rifle in 44 magnum and installed an ATI adjustable stock. This gun has been our families meat provider ever since and has been getting three deer a year (one from each of us). It has consistently impressed me on whitetail under 100 yards. Even the "not perfect" shots drop deer with amazing speed. The blood trails (if the deer even moves a step) are plentiful. Entry holes in the rib cage are torn to about 3 inches and the exit holes are about 1 inch. Blood shot is very minimal and penetration is excellent for a hollow point. One deer we shot was facing us with his head down. The hollow point bullet entered at the base of the neck, went through the spine, heart, stomach and stopped in the intestines. It made a 1 inch passage all the way through. Buffalo Bore makes a 44 magnum hollow point that they call the "deer grenade". I have to agree with them on that.

Now my original box of 180 grain PMC bullets only has three left and I can't find them locally anymore. So my thought is to make my own before next year. I was thinking of using 240 grain XTP hollow points with Winchester 296. Now that you know a bit about what I am looking for, what are your thoughts. Do any of you make your own 44 mag hollow points for medium sized game?
Psegnatelli

Re: Looking for a new 44 load for Whitetail

Post by Psegnatelli »

Was it the Starfire hollowpoint?

I loved the pmc Starfire in 30-30.

The only deer I ever shot with a 44 was using the Winchester 240 gr jsp. In their white box line. And it worked well.

I would say if you like the 180 gr hollowpoint then stay with a 180gr.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Looking for a new 44 load for Whitetail

Post by Archer »

https://www.laxammo.com/ammunition/44-r ... 44b/39-680

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/44-magnum/PMC- ... 180grains-

https://www.laxammo.com/ammunition/44-r ... 44b/39-926

IF that wasn't the round you wanted then you can find your best approximate by going with ANY manufacturer on Ammoseek and see what you can find... Winchester used to make a 180 and/or 220 grain silvertip and Remington has made several hollowpoints as well as Federal's Hydrashok (Avoid the ultralight Personal Defense line).

The only Starfires I found were 240 grain.