Range Day

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Range Day

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Headed for the local ODNR range for some quality time with nature and the Wizard among others.

Had some 45-70 loads to check out. As some of you may remember I had some PPU factory stuff that refused to extract/eject after firing and had to be encouraged with a rod. I pulled them down, saved the bullets, and reloaded them with my cast 415 gr 20-1 alloy boolits over 38.6 grains of AA2230. Sort of a mild load, still had several fail to extract. First 3 went into 3 inches or so then it kinda went in the dumper. Not going to be a hunting load or even a plinking load, but I had a lot of 2230 around and wanted to use some of it. Gotta do some casting and get back to load development for dear season. I'm seriously thinking of going back to my black powder load and playing with the charge weight a little and see what develops. With that boolit and 68 grains (thrown) it would stay in 4 inches at 50 yards. I'd like to get that down to two, but 4 may be the best, my eyes, the gun and its sights can do. We shall see.

Got the old 10-22 and the BSA reddot sighted in and made progress on the A17 so not a bad day at all.

make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Range Day

Post by Ranch Dog »

That too bad that the load didn't work out. Your AA230 sounds about like my H4227, tired of it sitting around and keep trying to figure out what will shoot it!
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Range Day

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

The stuff is old from back when we were both shooting Contenders in 7 and 6.5 TCU, but there was nearly 2 lbs in the cabinet so like you looking for something to use it in. May try the 5.56 next.

make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image