Who Forgets Stuff ?

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Who Forgets Stuff ?

Post by Jaybm »

I didn't want to hijack OhioThreeWheels post but wanted to share my own
recent experience at the range. No Rossi involved this time.

I recently purchased a Hogue grip for my LCR .38sp that gave me someplace
to put my pinkie besides under the grip. Perfect fit btw.

I wanted to see if the felt recoil would be too tough compared to the original
"tamer" grip. So prepped some .38sp loads and packed the range bag for an
early getaway the next morning.

Range was already bustling when I arrived but I managed to get the last station
at the "pistol" range. Set up my target and all set to go. Picked up the zip-lock
bag with my bullets. They were .357's, the 38's were on the desktop at home !

So OTW ... we're supposed to become wiser when we mature ( ha ) but I didn't
get that dose of wisdom, instead I got absentminded. :roll:

Still had the five SD rounds so the test was shorter than planned. The "bite" was
manageable and I'm sure with more ammo I would have gotten the feel of the
new grip. Hey ... +guns I hit the target !

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Who Forgets Stuff ?

Post by Moon Tree »

Nah, I'd never forget anything on a trip to the range. :twisted: I couple years ago I'd purchased a new Savage .270. At the time I didn't have a 50 yard range in my back yard. So, I loaded up to go to the back of the farm. I drag the bench from it's storage, open up the tailgate, and NO GUN! I had left the case with the gun on my bed. I drive back to the house. I unload gun and ammo, then realize I have NO TARGETS. I left them on my desk. I drive back to the house. Exasperated, I'm now ready to shoot, so I think. I have NO WAY to secure the targets to the board. The staple gun is on my desk next to where the targets were. Prep time for shooting took 3 times as long as the time it took to zero the scope.

It seems like I might have made a 4th trip to the house, but I can't remember what for.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm sure all of us have done something that would fit in this topic!

The worse for me was one of my hunts on the Aransas NWR which is about 1:30 from my place. I would deer hunt this refuge just for a change of pace. I would rent a small one room cabin near the refuge for the weekend. Before going to bed, I was setting my stuff up for the next morning and realized that I had forgotten my orange vest. In Texas they are not required for private lands so it is not something that we are use to carrying with us. No where to get one in these parts so I made the three hour round trip back home to get it. So, after a short night I'm up and make the 19 mile drive back into the refuge to where I will pack in to hunt. That drive is on a very bad road and it takes quite a while to get in. You guessed it, from the cabin it is an hour and a half back there. As I get out of the jeep in the dark I figure out I left the orange vest laying on the bed. Not worth getting caught without it so I make the three hour round trip back to the cabin to get it. Didn't start my hunt until 10:00.
Michael
TexNAss

Post by TexNAss »

Can't say I've ever forgotten ammo. I guess that's just me begging for karma to catch up now. You know why I like lever actions most of all?

You can't leave the bolt a few hundred miles away, back at the shack. Nuff said.

Although at the time, if my wife recalls correctly, I did have a lot to say about it when I returned empty handed. But I think she's mistaken (again).

Tex.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

ha ha, so we're not alone :)

But only speaking for myself I can claim a senior moment ... Jim
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Jaybm wrote:ha ha, so we're not alone :)

But only speaking for myself I can claim a senior moment ... Jim
I'm pretty sure that was my problem also, I think :D

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
R.Ph. 380

Post by R.Ph. 380 »

What was the question?
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Another stupid thing I did: I was deer hunting with my Savage .243 one evening. I didn't see a and was frozen by dusk. Hiking back to the truck warmed me up plenty, I was ready to peel of my hunting clothes. I leaned my rifle barre against the rear passenger side of the truck while I shucked my clothing. I grabbed an emergency adult beverage and drove back to cabin.

Next morning I can't find my rifle. OH $!!!, I didn't pick it up from leaning against the tire. I drove back to my parking spot. Sure nuff there laid my Savage covered in frost with tire tracks across the barrel. Oh, well I'm here to hunt, maybe the rifle isn't hurt.

About 30 minutes into shooting light a doe came loping by. I dropped her at 80 yards. The rifle wasn't hurt at all.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

In college I typically had an ammo can for the ammo, a gym bag for the other stuff I'd use at the range and a combination of rifle cases and a couple hard side pistol cases.

Now I've got a Midway range bag for the targets, binoculars, staple gun, targets, brush for the sand on the bench, hearing protection, safety goggles, multi tool, EMR cleaning kit, target pasters and a few other bits and whatnot.

Still using a 50 cal ammo can most of the time but I have left it or forgot to pack it for the individual range trip and ended up with the wrong ammo at the range for the gun that I was planning on shooting.

Can't recall leaving the gun at home.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

On the other side of the coin I've left stuff at the range.

Archer reminded me of the time the gson and I were shooting .22 rifles.
Arriving home I missed my ammo can, thought the gson had carried it
to the truck. Called the RO and he assured me it would be in the office
when I came the next time. Helps to be tight with the RO.

Jim