Modification

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Modification

Post by Jaybm »

Got the idea of strapping down the forearm from a tripod using something similar.
Had some Velcro and some strap material in the "catch all" drawer so here it is. May
have to add some super glue if the adhesive backing on the Velcro comes off. Now
I'll give the front piece of the rest one more try before I give up on it.
Mod 02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Modification

Post by Ranch Dog »

The Lead Sleds use a tie down strap.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Just asking .... Aren't you changing the barrel harmonics by strapping across it?

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

jd, honestly I'd never heard of harmonics vs accuracy till you asked the question.
Google d it and read a lot of stuff about add on devises to balance barrel harmonics,
aka, vibrations. Interesting stuff.

But I'm just a simple ole guy that loves plinking and not a competitive shooter. If
my strap effects the barrel harmonics maybe that's a good thing ? Then again maybe
not ? If it does no more than steady the rifle well that's my objective. The live fire test
will show the results.

Still plan on using one of the ranges heavier, sturdier rests as well and compare.

I'll (ahem) keep ya'll posted but don't hold your breath cause it's cold out there.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

J ..... the only thing I ever considered to be a concern was that at the bench, with the restraint you'll see one thing, and in real life when shooting from the shoulder it's gonna be a lot different.

I have buddies that shoot rifles off sand bags and put their hands over the top of the barrel to "hold it down". They seem to have somewhat erratic groups. When they keep their hands/pressure off the barrel the groups seem to be much more consistent.

just my observations, but I'm no where near an expert.

jd

edit to add .... why "free float" a barrel if you're gonna add pressure from somewhere else?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

Hi all,
I've got a miruko .22 lever gun. If I have the front rest right at the reciever end of the fore stock I get nice tidy groups at 50 m. If it's at the muzzle end then the groups double in size. If I hold the barrel in any way it gets worse again with a greater percentage of flyers.
From what I've been told by the blokes in the know is that it's all about consistency. The rifle should sit in the same place every time.
I went and watched a bench rest major competition a few weeks ago. Not because I want to shoot that type of match ( my knees still work), but because you can pick up some great tips that you can use when ammo testing and such. No one there was strapping their barrel down.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Thanks for the input Coop 45.
Have to ask since it was a major competition if anyone used those
gadgets on the front of their barrel to compensate for the harmonics ?

Now my curiosity is really peaked to see how the strap works good or bad.
If you've been following my range reports you know I always end up with
the rest pushed to the side and have better results just using my elbows
for support.
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

Lots of them were using barrel tuners, but only on rim fires. All they really are is a threaded sleeve that goes over the end of the barrel. Then over that goes another sleeve, by winding it forwards or back you can adjust the node points on the barrel vibrations. In the centre fire match no one had one but I think that's because they were not allowed to.
Keep us updated.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

That's what I thought. Surprised they were even allowed on rim fires.
JMHO but those things take the human skill factor completely out of
the equation.

Well if the weather forecasters are correct we may have some decent
weather late in the week.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

WELL, it sort of depends.
Although it can help to be able to tune your equipment but even though Browning and Winchester added the tunable barrel weights back 15-25 years ago to their hunting bolt actions in the BOSS system they didn't really seem to catch on.

Very few everyday users seem to want to screw around with tuning the gun to a given load or for that matter to test various loads to find what works best with a given gun.

Most folks just want to buy the gun,
have somebody at the shop boresight a scope on the rifle,
Buy a box of the cheapest or 'coolest' ammo on the shelf,
And go out and shoot 1 inch groups at 300 yards with the first 5 rounds OR center punch a deer at 400 yards with the first shot out of the gun.

Competition shooters are a little different, but not that much.
It appears that rather than deal with the tedium of tuning or the embarrassment of getting whupped by someone using such a system they disallow it instead. I've seen several versions for .22 rimfires. I suspect they don't do much compared to starting with a reasonable bull barrel to start with. On a lighter barreled gun they might be more useful.