Zeroing The Red Dot Part 2

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Zeroing The Red Dot Part 2

Post by Jaybm »

But first. a few pics of the SCDNR ( free ) Range.
Range Trip Nov. 25.JPG
50 Yards.JPG
There are five stations like this at the hundred yard side.
The bench runs the whole length and the swivel seats can be raised
or lowered to fit the shooter. No standing !
Some folks don't like to shoot through those big ole concrete culverts
but they do provide an extra bit of protection. However they ECHO !

Some one recently made and donated some really nice benches with
backs that sit behind the shooter's position.

Rests, spotting scopes ( those are mine ), targets, sand bags are all
furnished free of charge. The problem is they are abused, even stolen,
making it tough on everyone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Zeroing The Red Dot Part 2

Post by Jaybm »

Yeah that's my eight inch dia target way out there at fifty yards !

But first ... I discovered these 50 yard Zeroing Targets on line and decided
using one would make zeroing a lot easier. I didn't realize I had it upside down :oops: .
Using the Caldwell Rest, guess where the first round went ...
Zeroing In Target.JPG
Yep, just touching the green circle and I thought OH WOW, it's ON without any adjustment.
No comment on all those other holes !

I was shooting three round groups and thought by nine shots I was wasting time and ammo.
Oh, 125gr copper plated rfn over 4.7g TiteGroup. At this point I made a one click adjustment
to bring the POI right with the thought going through my mind that zeroing is a two man job.
Replaced this target with an 8 in. dia. Dirty Bird.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Pushed that darn Caldwell Rest out of the way !!!
Free Style 01.JPG
Still using the 125gr bullets and in my opinion the results looked better.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Just for kicks I had some 158gr Lazer Cast Lead rfn and put out another 8" target.
The powder was 4.8g TiteGroup.
158 gr.JPG
ha ha ha, had a couple flyers and then that five shot group around the nine ring.
Still without using the rest.

Then of all things the clothes pin at the top right corner of the target let go and
the target took a caddywhampuss tilt and the four shot tight group above the
other five was the result. Even thought I put the dot on the bull the shots went
high !

I had pretty well decided that the 125gr bullets were the way to go but after this
morning I just don't know. Wind was calm, temps in the low 50' so it was all me
trying to hold the carbine steady with the dot centered. I did lower the intensity
making the dot smaller and I think that was a plus.

So that's my range report ( I do get windy ). Letting the carbine sit out in the room
temp and will clean tomorrow. Time to think about doing the furniture re-finishing
project.

Jim
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

I don't know what to say, what's it like with the open sight.
KH
No one ever regrets buying quality
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Actually KH I wasn't doing bad with the peep but like always you strive to do better.

ha ha, this ole golden ager just hasn't come to grips with the fact that the hands
are not as steady or the eyes as good as they once were. Like you said, the Red
Dot takes some getting used to.

Woke up to rain this morning and winter weather advisories all around us so not
sure when the next range trip will be. I will use one of the ranges heavy rests to
see how that works for me. Maybe I need to get one of those tripods ?

I'll load up some more of those Oregon Trail 158 and see if they repeat as well.

Regardless a range trip is always good ! :D
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

Yes I think heavy is good in these rifles, I did get the FTX to fly but the pressure was to much.
That's for another time, still working loading the 308 for a friend and want to develop a load for .223
whatever I end up with and that's a must as long range bunny shooting is about out there doing it.
We all know about steady:)
KH
No one ever regrets buying quality
BadMonk

Post by BadMonk »

To me, it looks like windage improved over the three targets. On the first target, everything was left except for one shot. I like those targets by the way. The second target shows you are closer to center. Take away a couple fliers on the third target, you're again closer to the bull even if you're a bit right and a bit left of center. Actually, elevation tightened up too from first target to third.

I've been itching to get back to the range at 50 and 75 yards but haven't done a thing since getting zeroed at 25 yards with 158 gr. Medical issues and weather (today we're expecting six inches of snow...ugh) have kept me sidelined. I'm hoping for range time after the holiday.

These things are going to get zeroed some time soon. Keep on keepin' on.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Here's the thing Jay, I know it's tempting to go with lighter bullets cause ya can get them going a lot faster with less powder. Heck, everyone knows that a 125 grain bullet screaming out of something like a .223 will reach out and touch the target. But here is an absolute fact of ballistics. All other things equal, heavier bullets will ALWAYS be more accurate over distance than lighter bullets. It's just physics that can't be changed.

More weight means more momentum and more momentum means it wants to keep doing what it's doing longer. That's always going to be true and with what is essentially a handgun round, that becomes even more important because of the large diameter relative to the bullet length and weight.

So, the question becomes, what is the mission for the bullet and which bullet gives ya the best chance at completing that mission? Don't get me wrong. I have literally loaded and shot hundreds of thousands of 38/357s and 44 magnums of about every size and description over the years and I DO use some lighter, 115 and 125 grain loads that I've worked up that are relatively accurate and they have a mission. But hundred yard shooting ain't one of 'um. ;~)

I've just never been able to find a load combination in either a bought OR home cast handgun bullet less than about 150 grains that grouped out at distance. But that's just my experience. Maybe someone else has, I just never could.

By the way, I totally get the choice of sight. If it's past 25 yards...nowadays I couldn't hit a bull in the butt with iron sights! LOL

Heck, I even had to break down an put a red dot scope on my freakin' BOW! ;~0

Oh, and I am jealous of that range. VERY cool, echo and all!
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Well I'm encouraged, prepped some more OT Laser-Cast 158's to try. 158gr 38/357
was my preferred choice with Rainier and Berry Bullets. Have to check my stash I'm
sure to have some ready to go but may have a different powder / charge. That would
be another variable to deal with.
Range is closed till Tuesday and the weather looks promising after that. I can tolerate
low to mid fifties.
This week when I turned onto the country road to the range I had to slow down as three
deer crossed in front of me. ha ha, they were bounding ! Large one first then a smaller
one and the lil fawn bringing up the rear. Stopped and watched as they went in the field.