Interesting Morning at the Range

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
BadMonk

Interesting Morning at the Range

Post by BadMonk »

Got to the range today to try the new Bushnell scope with about 50 rounds of cheap new .357 rounds and 30 rounds of cheap reman .38 rounds. At 25 yards, it wasn't on the paper but I already planned to have fun and shoot. After a bit, I packed up thinking all the .357 rounds were spent. Instead, I found 3 live rounds so I moved to 50 yards to fire those 3. I was a little surprised that the shots were maybe 6+ inches lower at 50 yards. Some of that may be due to the light bullet - 125 gr - that I had for my revolver. The real surprise though was when shot the cheap reman .38 rounds. Put maybe 10 rounds down range and nothing on the paper. Ok, says I, fire at the top of the target...no paper. Bottom of the target...nothing. Way over and way under the target...nothing. Now, I'm really beside myself so I shoot at a used target on the 25 yard range. Nothing registers anywhere near where I'm firing. Wasn't this the same gun, scope and yardage that was like driving tacks a few moments ago? Yep, just not the same ammo. Ran out of the cheap .38s before I could figure out where the fliers went.

The gun had zero problems loading or firing he new .357 rounds. The cheap reman junk .38 rounds caused some hiccups. I've been away from firearms for a while and just got back to it. But don't remember seeing such a huge difference in performance due to on ammo. Time to stop buying junk ammo and stick with decent consistent ammo from the major manufacturers.

Now i have to back out to the range with good .357 rounds and see what happens at 50 yards. :D
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Interesting Morning at the Range

Post by Jaybm »

I'm sorry Monk but I have to chuckle just a bit, your experience sounds just like most of mine.
My best results have been with 125gr Rainier bullets over 4.7g of TiteGroup when I don't
shotgun the target.
Anxious to zero the Vortex Red Dot probably next week if the weather co-operates.
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
BadMonk

Post by BadMonk »

LOL...yeah, i think we're in the same boat and there's no captain at the helm...LOL

i'm going to give 156 gr soft nose a run from 1 of the big manufacturers...or hornady leverevolution but 156 soft nose are easier to find and less expensive.

on the upside, this explains the horrible shooting i did over the summer with my ruger lcr. i could not figure it out. my .40 and 9 mm shot great, even the rossi 4" .357 was on when it came back from repair. the lcr drove me up a tree. guess i'll take that to the range with the 92 and use good ammo in both. good excuse to go to the range.

let us know how you do with the vortex...and good luck!
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Our Range Officer consoles me on my skill with the hand guns.
When finished shooting and groaning at the results he takes
the target and holds it in front of his torso.
Doesn't look half bad then.

My LCR is a snubby .38sp with 1 7/8 barrel with XS sights.
BadMonk

Post by BadMonk »

I own the same LCR...with XS sights too. I'm sensing a pattern here.
I joined a new rod and gun club for 2015. That will make a huge difference...not...LOL.
BadMonk

Post by BadMonk »

Took 158 gr JSPs and (reman) XTPs to range. Targets at 75 and 100 yds. Couldn't hit paper. Target at 50 yds. Same result. Yikes esp after zeroing at 25 yards the other day. OK, got some gigantic cardboard and got to work. Ballistics tell me it's better to zero at 100 yds but I didn't have time to transition from 50 to 100. (Might split the diff and zero at 75 yds anyway.) The JSPs had a good feel, kick (and sound). The XTPs were like a dead thump and 7 inches low...more junk ammo for the pistols to eat. The 92 was consistent (once it on the cardboard). Real nice gun and getting more broken in every day. The Bushnell is fine, not great and not bad either. Looking forward to next range day and more sighting in.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yep once you find the sweet spot then it's on. No issues. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

I'm hoping to get out today after it warms up a tad.
Been reading all the " how to's on zeroing the Red Dot ".
I'll start at 50 yards and may move further if it's on.
Report later.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Jaybm wrote:I'm hoping to get out today after it warms up a tad.
Been reading all the " how to's on zeroing the Red Dot ".
I'll start at 50 yards and may move further if it's on.
Report later.
Jay thought i would chime in regarding the mention of zeroing in your new red dot. The one im working with suggested starting at the 25yrd line to zero in for the 50yrd line. I know that sounds confusing, but i followed the directions and when i moved to the 50yrd line it was right on, i dont have the pamphlet in front of me to quote these instructions but if your interested let me know and i will get back to do that. Like you, its all new to me, i dont understand it completely but some things are better left to faith. :D
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

I went through a period of "red dot itis" before finally getting leupold and Nikon FX scopes for my rossi and hand guns. As target distance got further away--and ambient light was brighter--usually had to turn up the intensity on the red dot--which also made it bigger. What I found was the size of the dot and "edge shimmer" masked actual target centering and how badly I was pulling the shots. I finally had to make a "philosophical" decision: 1 Do I want fast acquire capability of irons/red-dot or 2. Far superior accuracy of scopes--but longer acquire/focus. I opted for the scopes mostly cause I intend to hunt and figure the need for ethical shots outweighs the ease of acquiring or potentially losing the opportunity. My less than 2 cents. : )