Chronograph ! help the Kiwi with what works?

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Kiwi-Hunter

Chronograph ! help the Kiwi with what works?

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

Hi thought I would start a topic on Chronographs :roll: as new tech comes along, what's good? and price of course.
It's not that I am going to reload a lot of different projectiles, but have to find something that works in .357 16' barrel as in another topic I am trying to get a load to go and go well.
Pro Chrono Digital Chronograph , was suggested? comments
KH
No one ever regrets buying quality
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chronograph ! help the Kiwi with what works?

Post by Ranch Dog »

I own two the Shooting Chrony and the CED. The later is a very good unit. I don't know if it available in NZ but the one that would be interested in, it would require an iPhone or iPad, is MidwayUSA's Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Premium Kit. I don't know if they ship to NZ though and I see it is out of stock right now.

I will answer you email here if you don't mind. I really did not do any load work with my R92 20" saddle ring carbine other than try my three bullets; 135-grain, 175-grain, and 190-grain at max loads. The first and last were shot for curiosities sake, I knew the 175-grain would be the best from my work with my 1894C.
Michael
Mrlucky353

Post by Mrlucky353 »

I have the ProChrono Digital chronograph. I put off buying it for a long time because I couldn't figure out how those four metal 'antennae' were able to measure the speed of the projectiles.
image.jpg
image.jpg

When I found out the 'antennae' were nothing more than inert aiming guides, I was a bit disappointed.

I also made a mistake and first bought the 'PAL' version. The PAL software is a bit more cumbersome to use compared to the DIGITAL version. I wouldn't get the PAL version again, even though it was $5 cheaper. However, the PAL version is quite the equal to the DIGITAL version when it comes to flinch detection.

image.jpg

If you have a friend that inadvertently shoots your chrono, call the company and they will repair it for much less than the cost of a new one. When I called for my friend, the lady at the company said that they receive many chronographs for repair. So if it happens, don't feel like The Lone Ranger. Just swallow your pride and send it in. You can always blame Tonto.

Another pointer is that if you shoot one of the metal aiming rods (like Tonto did), the rearward force on the metal rod can break the chronograph's plastic case. You can avoid this potential problem by replacing the 4 metal aiming rods with 3/16" wooden dowels. I use poplar dowels. I've tested them and a direct hit in the center of a poplar dowel broke the dowel in half with no damage to the chronograph's plastic case.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I don't use the white diffusers on top of the steel or wooden aiming rods. I have difficulty getting velocity readings in direct sunlight. So I either set up the chrono in the shade, or I arrange to use it on overcast days. If you feel the need to use the diffusers, it might require that the stiffer metal rods be used instead of the wooden dowels.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

Thanks for the input Steve.
KH
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

KH, long time hope all is well, wanted to add my 2 cents. Started using one from a friend. It's brand name is "chrony" and saw they had them from an on line place called Natchez for around $100us. That is the base model. If you want all the add on's such as USB input data collecting you can add components as you wish. I thought they were more expensive before looking only recently. I'm sure there are more brands out there to compare to, but I can personally vouch for this one.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I bought my F1 Chrony from Natchez last December and have been satisfied with the $120-130 investment. Natchez Shooter's Supply is my go to place for nearly all my reloading tools.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

KH, don't know if you made the purchase yet, but I'm going to get one so I don't have to keep swapping back and forth with my friend. Just looked at the Nanchez site and they are not in stock, checked Cheaper Than Dirt site and this is what they have: F1 Chrony- $81.77, F1 Master Chrony- $94.63, M1 Chrony, same as F1 but reads in metric for $82.60....Happy shooting
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Kiwi-Hunter

Post by Kiwi-Hunter »

Thank NavyDoc
All's well enough just a little slow at the moment, I am 60 and the children are 18,16 13, say no more.
KH
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

wow, I already have two grandkids in that age range :oops:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Kiwi-Hunter wrote:Thank NavyDoc
All's well enough just a little slow at the moment, I am 60 and the children are 18,16 13, say no more.
KH
Enjoy them while you can they grow up too damn fast
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C