Shooting The 16in R92

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Shooting The 16in R92

Post by Jaybm »

To make a long story much shorter ...
Initially used the original sights and once I got used to the sight picture I was fairly pleased with my results at 50 yards. Don't think these old peepers could see well beyond that !

But kept reading about the Skinner Peep Sight providing more accuracy even with that 11 in. sight radius. Had one installed hoping the original front sight would work. Well, it didn't, to put any rounds in the twelve inch target I had to aim below the cardboard backing.

Next step, had the "Made for Rossi" .650in. tall front sight installed. First time out I couldn't place any hits on target at 50 yards. When I retrieved my target stand lo and behold there was a hole in the bottom brace right at ground level ! Threw in the towel at that point and headed home.

Related the story to a seasoned shooter and he suggested doubling the overall height of the target and shooting at a much shorter distance. Surely should "see" holes ! I choose 25 yards.

First round was a total flyer off somewhere ? Then it dawned on me ... aim higher ! I took aim at the top edge of the cardboard and ...
25 Yard Results.JPG
So that's where I'm at, a ten inch drop !

If my calculations are correct I need to shave ~ .063in for 25 yards or .122in for 50 yards. Maybe split the difference ? Oh, the peep is up as high as it can go to get those shots.

I thought if the weather permits, next week I would mark the front sight and use the mark for the sight picture. Also shoot .38 sp factory loads, 130gr. I've been shooting 158 gr Laser-Max RFN reloads. Any and all comments appreciated ... Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Shooting The 16in R92

Post by Jaybm »

No clue as to the duplicate photos ?

Anyway ... if the rain holds off tomorrow I'll hit the range and by trial &
error see if my idea works.
Trim.JPG
Not the best photo but you get the idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Jaybm wrote:No clue as to the duplicate photos ?
Can't comment on the main subject as I'm a scope shooter but the double image was simply the link twice in your post. Must have clicked on it twice.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Have you reviewed this thread:

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2414

I'd do the math for your OEM setup.
Then do it again for the skinner.
Then do it again as the rifle sits now.
And check the numbers since that old adage 'measure twice cut once' surely applies.

IT seems to me that you need to consider WHERE you want your rear sight to be in that if you adjust the front with the rear against one stop or the other you may not have any adjustment left for different ranges or loads.

And you say you went from shooting ABOVE POA with the skinner and the factory front to shooting well below POA with the new longer front sight (and the skinner fully elevated). So is your proposed front sight length between the two?

Final thought dealing with the mathematics of the problem.
Have you considered the supposed ballistics of the round and load you are using vs. the range adjustments you are dealing with? IF you get your rounds to be ON at 50 yards how much off are you going to be at 25 or 100 just from the ballistics of the round?
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Hey Archer ...
I reread the other thread maybe four times now, LOL.

Probably did the math at least that many times.

Rear sight adjustment on the Skinner ( IMO ) isn't much, about three turns tops
and yes that's a big concern of mine. Ideally I would hope to get to the point where
there's enough adjustment at the rear sight that I could go from one distance to
another with a slight adjustment. Fifty yards has been my max but I'm sure that
the rifle is capable of more as attested to by the puffs of dirt at the 100 yard berm.

This is strictly a range gun for me and I will normally be shooting the 158 gr RFP
Oregon Trail LaserMax over 3.6g BullsEye. Just received Alliant's 2014 Reloader's
Guide and the max for a SWC is 4.8g so I could go up some if need be.

"Have you considered the supposed ballistics of the round and load you are using vs. the range adjustments you are dealing with? IF you get your rounds to be ON at 50 yards how much off are you going to be at 25 or 100 just from the ballistics of the round?"

Hopefully I'll work on that during the trial & error effort tomorrow and the RO is a super guy that will be
spotting for me as well as coaching.

Appreciate your input and I'll be reporting back ... Jim
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

New Peep.JPG
Shooting 38Sp 130 Gr FMJ.JPG
Update ...

Think I got a lesson on ballistics Archer.

Started right off at 50 yards and the 130gr .38sp WWW were a lot truer. Can't say much
for the grouping and some off the target but I'm encouraged. Took the aperture out and
shot several .357 / 158 gr using just the ghost ring.

Replaced the Skinner Peep with one of Steve Young's last night. Two advantages that I can
see. Greater vertical adjustment and sight radius is now 17 1/2 inches compared to 11. The
fit was a little loose and Steve suggested turning the sleeve 90 degrees and file a smaller
notch for the retaining pin. Well I might have succeeded but ... a little Yankee ingenuity and
a ho-made shim did the trick.

I have some 125g Rainiers I can reload and try them next week to get some numbers and redo
the math. In the meantime I better bone up on the ballistics.

Jim
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

May just take a few rounds down the tube to smooth the bore. My .44 mag R92 was pretty much a disappointment as far as accuracy for the first 50 rounds or so. By 100 rounds it started tightening up. Now, after 300-400 rounds (I normally keep good records on round count for NIB guns .... didn't even consider it for this one) it's consistent enough that I trust it will do great with a couple hundred more in optics.

I'd say unless you have a couple hundred rounds through the bore already, don't get too concerned about the accuracy just yet, it may smooth up and surprise you.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Yeah, round count on my two is LOW at the moment.
I've barely function tested them so neither has much more than 50 through them IF that.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Thanks mr surveyor & Archer.

I may have close to that but with the crunch I'm shooting way less than I used to.

Gson chides me, you need to shoot at least a carton ( 50 ) if you go to the range
as he hands me two cartons of empty .45 brass. If you have time will you reload
these for me. And I'm the one that got him started and gave him his first .45 !

Pouring down rain this morning, GS even refused to go out, looked at me as if to
say "you gotta be kidding me". Smart dog !
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Well I tried some 125gr .38 & .357 with little success using Steve's peep and the tall Skinner front sight.
Fella in the next lane had an arsenal ( maybe ten ) large bore rifles and their BOOM rattled me even
with my hearing protection. Just couldn't focus ( pun ) on what I was trying to accomplish.
So rather than waste ammo and time I ended my session.

Removed that Skinner front sight and thumped on the Marbles fiber optic. Measured all three with my
digital caliper, original = .476 " , Skinner = .650" . Marbles = ..4825". My thinking being with the extra
lateral adjustment of Steve's receiver sight the Marble's just may do the trick. Sure like how it does
stand out !
Marble's Fiber Optic.JPG
New Sights.JPG
May not get a chance to try this combo out for a few weeks but I'll post results.

Am I heading in the right direction ?

Jim