Watch out for bullet failure

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Watch out for bullet failure

Post by Rooster59 »

I'm pushing Nosler 250HP .451" out of my 16" R92 around 1550fps. Their load data only shows up to 1105fps in a 12" contender. My load is intended for deer so if it grenades it will still get the job done. Sort of like those Leverevolution 30-30 and 45-70 bullets.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Rooster59 wrote:I'm pushing Nosler 250HP .451" out of my 16" R92 around 1550fps. Their load data only shows up to 1105fps in a 12" contender. My load is intended for deer so if it grenades it will still get the job done. Sort of like those Leverevolution 30-30 and 45-70 bullets.
+1
I'm reserving the 325 grain factory FTX "LeveRevolution" 450 Marlin ammo for deer hunting.
I'll be reloading fired 450 Marlin cases with the Barnes "Original" 400 grain FPs & 400 grain Barnes "Buster" bullets for elk, moose & the bigger bears.
The Hornady factory 450 Marlin ammo pushes the 325 grain FTX "Gummy Bear" bullets to 2250 fps for around 3500 ft-lbs.
I think the FTX bullets are too frangible for really heavy big game (elk, moose) and will "grenade" as you say on the big bones without penetrating to the vital organs.
That FTX ammo is really accurate in my GGs and the BLR.
The best performing 45-70 ammo I've used for the "big critters" is the HSM "Bear Load" pushing a 430 grain hard cast lead bullet at 1750 fps.........1-shot, instant drop kills. :mrgreen:
The 430 grain lead pill is a good compromise for penetration & trajectory...........better for longer shots than the rounds loaded with the super heavy "car battery" lead bullets which really aren't necessary & have "garden hose" trajectories.
People have a tendency to take things to extremes........a 420 grain bullet is good so a 550 grain bullet has gotta be better.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Several years ago I was on a January doe hunt in northern New Mexico. I was using a Winchester .30-30 loaded with a Nosler 150 gr. flat points (solid base). I got a broadside shot at a walking doe on a hillside, across a ravine, no more than 75 yds. At the shot the doe kicked up like a donkey and ran UP and over the hill. Puzzling response to me. I walked across to where the deer had been hit and saw pink froth and some bone bits. Figured I had lung shot it. Took me a while to track to the deer. Upon inspection during field dressing, I noted a 30 caliber entrance wound, penetrating a rib, and a 30 caliber exit wound, also penetrating a farside rib. No apparent expansion. I had thought .30-30 bullets were marshmallow soft for expansion.

A few years later, I was hunting deer in southern New Mexico with my son. We got the drop on a pair of bucks coming out from behind a windmill and stock tank. I popped a 3-point buck at probably 25-30 yards with a .30-06 and a 150 gr. Hornady spire point. It was a heart shot, but it made a huge far side exit wound. That also puzzled me as I thought Hornady 150 gr. SP were a bit stiffer to promote more penetration and controlled expansion.

I am no ballistics expert whatsoever, these were just my observations.

I have been warned about shooting .357 exposed lead hollow points out of my .358 Winchester. Too fast and jackets get shed. Interestingly, for plinking, I have been loading a lot of 158 gr. Berrys Plated round nose bullets for the .358 Win. Velocities are around 2,200 fps and I am not getting any copper flaking in the bore and I get clean holes in targets. That is above Berrys posted maximum velocities for its plated bullets.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I still feel this is urben legend for most modern bullets though. I can see this for most soft lead this thread is useless without more facts to back it.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!