mod 92 trapper

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

mod 92 trapper

Post by twobitokie »

went to the range with my mod 92 trapper with nate jones rear peep, peap, ahhhhhhhh sh.......... however its spelled.

anyhow, peep sight, red rod front sight from midway. no pics, at least none that I will admit to. but with my combo, I am ahooting high at 50 with sight at lowest. so I will probably have to get a shorter front sight for 50 yards.

little gun has been slicked up and is a great little shooter. It is by the way a 16" in 44 mag.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: mod 92 trapper

Post by pricedo »

twobitokie wrote:went to the range with my mod 92 trapper with nate jones rear peep, peap, ahhhhhhhh sh.......... however its spelled.

anyhow, peep sight, red rod front sight from midway. no pics, at least none that I will admit to. but with my combo, I am ahooting high at 50 with sight at lowest. so I will probably have to get a shorter front sight for 50 yards.

little gun has been slicked up and is a great little shooter. It is by the way a 16" in 44 mag.
The rule of thumb for iron sights is move the rear sight in the direction you want to move the point of impact OR move the front sight in the opposite direction you want to move the point of impact and this applies for both windage and elevation.
If your gun is shooting high you need to move the rear sight down or the front sight up.
Do whichever is easiest for your gun.
Most times guys adjust the rear sight for elevation using the sliding elevation ramp and the front sight for windage with a hammer and a brass or drift plastic punch.
If your rear sight is both elevation and windage adjustable you've got it made.........in that case you shouldn't have to drift the front sight in the dovetail unless it's really out.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
twobitokie
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by twobitokie »

yep, but the jones peep sight that replaces the bolt saftey is screwed all the way down and it still shoots high at 50yds. windage is still done on the front sight. Also, because I have a fat shoulder and that tiny curved butt stock is two sizes too small, I made a butt cuff with a curve filler to give it a flat butt profile. Cuff also slightly increases the length of pull.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

If you like the fiber optic front sight then stay with them. If not a requirement, you might try getting a front sight blade from Skinner. They actually make the peep Stevegunz sells. The Skinner front blades are nice and square topped, can be filed in height to suit your setup, and can be made in just about any custom width you want. Plus they are very customer service oriented. With the fiber optics sights you have to buy a new one if it isn't the right height.

I got a custom width brass front sight for my stainless 92 Puma trapper in 45LC. Looks slick on that stainless barrel. Andy at Skinner made sure it fit the slightly different dovetail width on the Rossi/Puma rifles.

www.skinnersights.com
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver