steel gong

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: steel gong

Post by Steelbanger »

Since all my competition shooting is fired from the standing position I would move that 12" plate to 200, 10" to 150 and another at 100 and a 6" at 50. Looking at those plates I have to wonder how those "ears" that facilitate hanging will hold up to direct hits as open sight offhand shooting for me isn't exactly repeatable. While one shot may find the center of the plate the next may miss everything, hit one of the chains, or even knock off an ear.

How long did you have to wait for delivery of those plates?
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:Since all my competition shooting is fired from the standing position I would move that 12" plate to 200, 10" to 150 and another at 100 and a 6" at 50. Looking at those plates I have to wonder how those "ears" that facilitate hanging will hold up to direct hits as open sight offhand shooting for me isn't exactly repeatable. While one shot may find the center of the plate the next may miss everything, hit one of the chains, or even knock off an ear.

How long did you have to wait for delivery of those plates?
The plates took less than a week to get. They will not get a big dose of shooting and all from a bench. It is just to check things, kind of where you would shoot one or two shots, to save me walking down to set up a target. I've got a couple of friends that shoot here, I've told them absolutely no jacketed bullets on the gongs, and if they damage a chain or target the will need to replace it pronto.
Michael
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I have at spot on BLM land that my son and I go shooting. I say BLM land but I'm pretty sure its private owned land that's surrounded by BLM. I use wooden sawhorse, the wood holds up way better then any other product and is really easy to replace\rebuild.

Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

donhuff wrote:CCI mini mags are the only GOOD 22 ammo out there anymore.

My old remington 581, loves those CCIs.... and solids, not hollow points. They seem to be the only real 22 out there.

My youngest son got his mother in law a 22 pistol for Christmas. It was jamming every other shot with the bulk ammo. I told him to get CCI solids.............no more jams!
I'm using CCI Standard Velocity in the Smith 41 an older Smith 17 and a Ruger MKII Govt.
I've also had pretty good luck with Federal AutoMatch.

The MKII Govt will shoot ANYTHING as will the CZ-Kadet conversion and the manual action rifles even the crappy Remington GB but I don't generally try for tiny groups with the Remington and only buy it when it is about all there is.

I've seen some high end European manufactured ammo in the last year but it was shipped in special for one of the youth shooting clubs.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

WRT shooting steel:

RD was correct in being careful about setting them up too close. In particular hard cast bullets have a tendency to shatter on impact with the steel and come back in a cone from the plate. They CAN come back even if the plates are angled downward. Those angles will generally deflect jacketed, soft lead and plated non-cast lead downward in a single lump. The hard cast shatters and comes back pretty much regardless of the angle of impact. Because it comes back sort of in a cone from the impact point it can actually be more dangerous to the bystander beside the shooter than to the actual shooter.

Make certain everyone in the area is wearing eye protection when you are shooting at steel targets, especially when cast bullets are involved.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'm still sort of torqued off the range I belong to removed and ditched a 6"x12" plate that used to hang at the pistol range at about the 60 yard line. Popping that puppy with the 1911 and the MKII was fun. The only thing that would have made it better would have been to have one right beside it at about 4-5" diameter.