First shoot with new eyes

Maximizing the performance of your Rossi firearm.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

First shoot with new eyes

Post by GRV01 »

So i just got LASIK on Friday, and tested it out on Sunday -- went out to a spot with a coworker to do some shooting!

What I brought: My 20" 92 in 357, my Charter Arms Off Duty 38SPL, Wifeys Chiappa Rhino snub in 357, and her 92 (though it went unfired)

What he brought: Springfield 1911 in 45, Springfield XD in 45, AR type in 5.56, and Krinkov style AK type pistol in 7.62 Soviet

The targets: an old realtor sign with paper targets taped on, a flipping steel target, some orange soda cans all these at 10-20yds and then a pair of 3'x2' steel targets at 320yds

It was fun, its been too long since i had my 92 in my hands and it was nice getting more time with my carry revolver. The 1911 was neat, my first time firing one, and i can see why people like them. To me theyre a nice blend of historical and modern and factory 45acp was an easy shooter though reaching the controls on the 1911 was tough with my small hands. His AR is still fairly OTS so nothing fancy and stil has iron sights. The Krinkov was a pain because you cant shoulder it especially with that stinky cheap surplus soviet ammo with its high pressure wave. Wasnt too pleasant

My loads: fired a mix of some that ive been making. In 357 i shot my 7cc load and 5cc load of HS6 spread between MBC's 158gr RNFP and ACME's 158gr SWC

and in 38SPL the mousefart 3cc, and new (to me) +P 5cc of HP38 both behind MBC's 125gr TCFP. All bullets come powder coated from the vendor

All in all it was very fun way to spend a sunday, especially considering itll be the last,time i can shoot my weapons for another 7months
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
desertrider

Re: First shoot with new eyes

Post by desertrider »

Quit keeping us hanging already! Spill the beans!

Was the LASIK successful? Could ya see anything past the front sight? Could ya even see the front sight? How many trees didja hit on the drive to your shootin' spot?

I have a spectacularly horrible astigmatism. Without my glasses I'm damn near useless, well, more useless than normal at least. I've thought about LASIK, but never committed to it.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

It worked, thats for sure, and while my vision wasnt too terrible to begin with not wearing glasses is a huge boon. The procedure was creepy and offputting (watching them smooth your corneal flap back down with the edge of an explorer) but the entire thing was quick maybe 15min total. My right eye was about 5 seconds of laser and about 14 secs for left eye. There is a smell aswell, and was it the smell of ozone of the burning of cornea who knows

So i hated the procedure but man im glad its done. Worth it
No thin chicks
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

A little light headed here...

A 1911 is the best invention this side of an 1892.

I got a sweet AK this year and I hate it so far. Purple and green shoulder with no great results agrees. A
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

GasGuzzler wrote:A little light headed here...

I got a sweet AK this year and I hate it so far. Purple and green shoulder with no great results agrees. A
+1

John Moses knew a thing or two about designing firearms. I'm remain convinced that he has ew equals even today.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
desertrider

Post by desertrider »

GasGuzzler wrote:A little light headed here...

I have one AK, and have had it for almost twenty years. It is one of maybe six long guns that go to the range on a regular basis. On the other hand, I have a bunch of long guns that only go once or twice year.

I'm not a great shot, so making the grade as a favorite range gun means it has to be rock solid reliable, capable of repeatable semi-rapid fire hits on an eight inch pie plate at 100 yds, can't be finicky with ammo, and has to be fun to shoot. My AK has those requirements nailed.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I love my ak rifles and I love shooting my friends ak sbr rifles. I have never shot the pistol ak though so I cannot speak to it being fun, but you could add a brace to the pistol to make it useable without atf stamp. Braces are now allowed to be shouldered so if you shop well you can basically have a fun tiny ak pistol. I have to add I love the stinky smell of cheap steel cased surplus. I love that you were able to get out and shoot. Keep us posted +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I changed the AK rear sight with no paper time. That was my big disappointment. I put the combloc sight back on. If I don't skip steps this time I'm sure I'll get it sighted and I'll be happy. And yes, I got it to eat nothing but cheap bulk ammo.

Sorry for the high jack.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I know the feeling with the eyes. Mine was cataract removal and implant, instant (almost) 20/20 and there were those sights that had gone missing over the last few years. Great feeling.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

I forgot to mention how i did on the 320yd target with the 92. I have a Marbles Bullseye rear on it and the targets were far away but atleast 50 to 100 yards below us which helped. Despite that i still had to raise my site halfway up the elevator to get close -- and frustratingly close it was. I sas hitting the dirt all around it, at that distance of almost 1000 feet to be off by just another 12 or 24 inches was annoying. Unfortunately i ran out of reloads.

Furthermore im still learning and developing my own handloading procedures or methods and load segregation is one of them. I have three MTM 100rd boxes: blue for catsneeze and 38SPL, red for hot and zippy, and the green/black for moderate HS6. It was these rounds i was firing as i was out of faster 'red' ammo but i had mixed two different HS6 loads, one moderate and one much softer, so imavine my growing annoyance when one sbot is a hillside echoing crack ending in a puff of smoke a foot and a half from the distant target and the next shot is a *poomp* that lands 100yds short. In anycase it was still close and being able to reach that far was still heartening

Also shot at it with his iron sighted AR and hit it a couple times though hearing the buffer tube go sproing on my cheek wasnt pleasant.

As to AK types im suprised im not into them more since ive been intrigued by Soviet hardware and history since i was a kid. I think much of it is how much reloading has influenced my gun owning and caliber choices, and how kinda superfluous it is with Soviet bloc arms since steel cased is so cheap. Tell you what though, a wooden stock semi auto is much more my style and speed (after levers!) and if there was a company that made new build SKS knockoffs with minor improvements (like removeable box mags) id be all over it. Ofcourse i would have to then buy a Mini-14 to match!
Ohio3Wheels wrote:I know the feeling with the eyes. Mine was cataract removal and implant, instant (almost) 20/20 and there were those sights that had gone missing over the last few years. Great feeling.

Make smoke,
Glad to hear it, truly. I read it once that being blind cut you off from the world, and that being deaf cut you off from people. Still not sure which would be worse.
No thin chicks