Dogs and Hog!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dogs and Hog!

Post by Ranch Dog »

We had a large boar show up last night at the house. I went outside to try to shoot it, but as soon as I was outside the rain poured and he left. I stayed up tonight; it was a struggle as I spent Sunday on the tractor out in the pasture. While out working, I was more than sore about this hog managed to tear up a lot of my work in less than 12 hours! A little before 2 am this morning, he showed up. The rifle is my Savage 99 chambered in 300 Savage.

Two months of work came together for my dogs and I as well. When I came out of the house into the yard with the rifle in hand, they listened to me as they stayed quite and got down. They remained quiet while I made the 70-yards shot and then got on the Mule when told. As we approach the boar he was down but not out so again they stayed with the Mule as told so that I could flank the hog for the followup shot. At that shot, I "released the hounds!" and they went airborne out of the mule and tackled this big hog.

The dog part of this has been crazy. All this has been practiced in small bits and pieces along with plenty of loving discipline, and it simply came together tonight. Two shelter dogs with no ranch savvy, one particularly gun shy, but they were there with me every step of the way relying on their schooling and ready for me to lead. In that I depend on "selfies" for my photos, the hardest part was getting two dogs in the same spot of 10 seconds as to say they were excited about their first hog would be an understatement! Laurel, the hound, is just above my left knee in the background.

Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Dogs and Hog!

Post by Steelbanger »

RD,

Congratulations on your latest hog. Beautiful dog work too.

A friend and I went to a gun show yesterday, seeing a lot of Colt Pythons, the highest asking price was just over $3800.00. I splurged on three boxes of 28 ga. Win AA No. 8's.

My vet has just told me that Smokes problem is caused by his thyroid. I believe that this will be the final straw on this search. I hope it works.

Frank

The weather here is terrible. We only got a bit of snow last week but the wind has been blowing very strong for three days now. The extended forecast only shows the highs in the upper 30's. Mike told me that his peepers were whistling one night this spring and temp then was 38º
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Frank, I hope that the vet gets a fix on what it is going to take to get Smoke on the mend. I hate seeing a dog down. Please keep us posted.
Michael
scrapman

Post by scrapman »

awesome job! by the size of that hog no wonder the damage to your fields. a good dog is one of the nicest pleasures in life.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

scrapman wrote:awesome job! by the size of that hog no wonder the damage to your fields. a good dog is one of the nicest pleasures in life.
No doubt on both counts!
Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

that is a big boar. congratulations on a good harvest and congratulations on training the dogs quite well.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks!
Michael
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

Awesome hunt with your dogs!

And looks like perfect shot placement on that giant hog.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

LowKey wrote:Awesome hunt with your dogs!

And looks like perfect shot placement on that giant hog.
Thanks! Yeah, something a bit high to knock them over center and off their feet. :?
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Nice work! And first blood on this Savage 99, yes?