Game Cam Pics

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Game Cam Pics

Post by Ranch Dog »

HUNT0032_small.jpg
HUNT0047_small.jpg
HUNT0025_small.JPG
HUNT0015_small.jpg
He is 5 1/2 years, already totally nocturnal. He might go 125 gross, so he is the target of my attention. He is going to a particular feeder 30 minutes after the end of shooting time because the second cycle of the rut is over and he is getting tired and hungry. The next cycle of the rut is December 10th through 17th, during that period he will disappear but reappear afterward at the feeder. I will figure out how far I need to move back in his travels to catch him before dusk. My guess is about 300 yards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
LowKey

Re: Game Cam Pics

Post by LowKey »

Awesome.

And that daylight picture of the buck looks like a cover to Field & Stream magazine.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

LowKey wrote:Awesome.

And that daylight picture of the buck looks like a cover to Field & Stream magazine.
That buck is a "weak" ten meaning his G4s are not sticking up very high. Next year, and each year after, his skeletal system will be absorbing less of his intake and more stuff required will be delivered to the headgear. This feeder is about 300 yards from the house, but I see him often in my yard, he is a very handsome fellow. My areas heaviest hunting pressure comes this weekend. Typically, given today's typical hunters, if a three-year-old survives this weekend he is golden. At four, if he runs the gauntlet again, the odds are he will die of old age. Texas has become of the land of the lazy, unknowledgeable deer hunter that sits in a blind and kills the first legal deer that walks under the feeder. Most won't even hunt once it gets cold. This is what happens when you industrialize hunting to the level it is in Texas. I need a soapbox smilie...
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Pretty cool pictures, and I agree that day shot is very nice.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

One reason you have that land and take care of it RD.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

that's a minor rant Michael.

I tell the kids all the time they won't shoot a big deer if they shoot a little one, especially since we only get 1 deer a year.
we have to hunt on open public land which means there is [usually] no second chance, and almost zero chance of watching a buck grow up.
you have to find him and figure him out and get him in a few days.
after all the scouting work many times the weather will move them along to another area, they go nocturnal under the full moon, or they head directly for private property after being pushed around by a few hunters.

what really sucks is being able to see the road you drove in on 5-600 yds away but you have to walk more than 3 miles to get back to it because of property boundary's, that's not easy to do dragging/carrying 200+ lbs.
yes, I can go hunt other areas,, now I do and I don't see as many deer in those other areas.
heck sometimes I don't see deer in many of the areas I hunt and I have seen deer in them a lot over the years, it just depends, and they might be there if the weather changes tomorrow.
I just won't know without covering the territory.
it is what it is out here too.... only different.