More Hogs

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
LowKey

More Hogs

Post by LowKey »

More trail cam hog pics.

Unusual to see a trail cam pic of a hog resting.
They're usually too busy digging up the field to find food.
IMG_2103.jpg
IMG_2106.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler

Re: More Hogs

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nasty $"%*|£&?! vermin.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

After killing 14 in a week through Sunday night, there was none of the sounder on the cameras through today. I have a large boar that is visiting a feeder in the middle of the night, only seen him once briefly before dark about 250 yards away while deer hunting.
HUNT0025_small.JPG
I no longer feed in the evenings in an effort to keep the hogs off my place, so he has started arriving earlier. Next week I will put a fresh cover coat of caliche under the feeder, so that he stands out well, and then will shoot him under the feeder light during the full moon (around the 1st of December).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

14 in a week!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, I eliminated a sounder. I'm tired of them along with their destructive, wasteful nature. I conducted a full-scale tactical operation against them and will do so with every sounder that crosses my fencelines in the future. In the 13 years, I've been on this ranch, I have now killed over one thousand hogs. Not one caught in a trap, 90% of them killed at night without the aid of imaging optics. I'm kind of over it so I needed to change things up. The deer feeders no longer feed in the evenings. They go off at dawn and noon. I've monitored the noon feeding to deliver just what will be cleaned up at dusk. My goal is not to have a kernel of corn on the ground at dark. I'm studying time dispensed protein feeders as well rather than free choice. I put out a little extra corn at the house and will adjust it to lure hogs to the house after dark under the lights once I see activity on my game cameras.

With this last sounder, I turned all the feeders on the ranch off except for the house feeder and then started eliminating the group's knowledge base by killing the sows first. I've been at it so long and with so many, I started leaving the carcasses along their escape route from the kill box and the coyotes started eliminating the piglets every time they departed. I know coyotes shadow sounders hoping to pick off unattentive piglets, but I just didn't realize how effective they could be utilized as a blocking force on the escape route.

I went to Express BB loads, much more effective for killing a group that buckshot. The above is the result of a single shot from a 2 3/4" load of the lead. This sounder had 26 to 28 hogs. I killed about half and the coyotes killed the others. Not a trace of them left other than in the song dogs scat.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I was able to end it last night. This dude made the mistake of coming to the house feeder before I went to bed. I had decreased the feed time with the noon feeding by a second on all the feeders in the pasture in an effort to force him to the house to avoid sitting out in the pasture late at night. Forced his hand in two days!

At this moment, my ranch is hog-free.

Shot him with my Winchester M94 Timber Scout chambered in 30-30 Win. Not to worry, my Rossi's have been a little restless and their rotation on the line is just about here.
Michael
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

So, not knowing the state of hog infestation in Texas i have to ask, how long do you suspect itll be before more move in?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GRV01 wrote:So, not knowing the state of hog infestation in Texas i have to ask, how long do you suspect itll be before more move in?
Tonight. Saying is, kill one and five come to the funeral!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Freaky thing was that I towed him to the spot I've been feeding the coyotes. They were waiting for me and not very patiently. It was downright freaky.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

The sound of the bullet hitting pig has become a dinner bell.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image