Project: Baby Big Bore

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Project: Baby Big Bore

Post by GRV01 »

Those familiar with some of my earlier griping know that i want something a little bigger than my 357s while staying in a compact package. Im exploring what im calling the Baby Big Bore -- baby because i am one (and also because i want to keep recoil manageable), and big bore in that itll be a Rossi in a caliber beginning with the number 4. The purpose of this project is twofold: to find a fun big bore for putting large holes in things, and to be a future hunting gun, in that im trying to get into that hobby/sport

Criteria: Must be lever action, bullet must be larger than four tenths of an inch in diameter, logistically easy to support with reloading, rifle must be 20" barrel or shorter, must have versatility in loads (". . .from mild to wild")

Stipulations: will not be scoped, iron sights only, will be shooting powder coated cast lead only no jacketed or FTX etc, no factory ammo other than a few boxes to build a stockpile of cases, pistol-caliber with matching pistol preferred but not required

Contestants: Rossi M92 16" Round in either 44 Mag or 45LC shooting 240 or 250/255 bullets respectively -or- Rossi Rio Grande in 45-70 shooting 300 gr

M92 44 Mag - a ".429 Magnum carbine" seems like the smart choice as load data is easy to find for hot (magnum) or cat-sneeze (Special) rounds, and the rifle itself isnt too difficult to find, albeit blued only. Hot 44 mag loads would certainly knock down anything im likely to see outdoors in the eastern half of the country as well. Im not too hot on 44 mag pistols though. Affordable options are 'Special Only' and while i would only load pistol rounds to Special levels, i want to avoid keeping and loading two different case lengths. Other hand, 44 Mag pistols are expensive or hard to find (or both). I also cant ignore how i feel about the ol' "429" since i know its big bore but theres that voice that asks "but is it big bore enough? Wheres the number 5??"

M92 45LC - I was winning an auction for one just yesterday when someone pulled in front and out bid me in the last few hours. I love that these are readily available especially in stainless which would help differentiate it from my 357 rifle. 45LC also offers lower pressure and that all-important (to who??) number 5 with its true-blue big bore .452 bullet. Can be certainly loaded mild for plinking soda can bandits (bandits that are soda cans, not soda can stealing bandits) but by all accounts can be a "mini Marlin guide gun" in the 16" barrel with hot loaded big pills. Unfortunately there's a dearth of published, reliable heavy hitting load data. Pistol options would come down to either a fun cheap Heritage (to keep it in the Taurus family) single action or the Judge which can both be bought at under $500 each. Im not so into pistols that im eager to drop more than $600 on one, so no Rugers or S&W. Honestly this option is my favorite so far

Rio Grande 45-70: this ones a cheater considering its not a "baby" big bore at all, but one cannot dismiss just how cool a 45-70 is. Ideally it would be loaded with a 300gr bullet loaded either as mild as can be or heavy for a hunt or trek through unfamilar woods. Pistol options wouldnt matter actually since i could just get a 357 revolver to carry on the hip as backup since im already reloading in that caliber, and happy to do it, since im afraid of taking my Rhino anywhere theres dirt. I cant help but feel like a cop out on this option though, like the guy "car guys" like to tease or joke about, y'know the one who bought the V6 Mustang or F-150. I read a post somewhere from someone opining that many people buy 45-70s and then load them down like they're 45LCs, which made me blush a little as it felt like he was writing about me. Further, id be worried i wouldnt be able to down load it enough that the wife or kids would want to shoot it without resorting to odd things like "button collar bullets" and so forth

Questions: considering the M92s slow twist, are 240 and 250/255 grain bullets in 44 and 45 too long to shoot accurately at lower FPS? If no, would 300gr be? For each of these calibers, what powder recommendations can you make that will fit the range of mild to wild, or atleast yawn to warm? Bonus points if Hodgdons as thats what my LGS stocks

Thanks all, hopefully we can have some fun with this
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Project: Baby Big Bore

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Well, ya know I'm biased toward the .44 Mag/Spl. Not as fiddly to load as the .45LC, more case life, and a lot more high velocity options and recipes. I have not had bullet instability with 240 gr bullets at moderate loadings from the 16 inch '92. I have not loaded 300 grain bullets, but they're on my agenda. Would I be a heretic to suggest a Ruger 96/44? It's on my list because of the higher twist rate.

I also have a strong bias toward DA revolvers. I have an S&W Model 69 Combat Magnum (L Frame, .44 Mag/Spl) and a Taurus 441 (K Frame, .44 Spl Only) that were both purchased used for a reasonable price. I'm a small guy also (5'5" on a good day), and they both fit my hand. N Frames are too big. I don't enjoy shooting magnums in the Model 69, but it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Ive been working on this setup since last year.
I chose the rossi 92 16" 44 mag.
And I bought a super blackhawk 7.5" to go with the rossi.
I would post pics but right now the rossi is with my gunsmith getting a cerakote job, in gun metal black, with extra hardener for a slight gloss.
This little rossi fits the bill perfectly for me.
Im in southeast kentucky, heavy and thick forest, black bear,big cats,etc.
I can run the rossi fast, swing it up and get on target fast, or fire it from the hip with mild loads.
Ive been buying up molds, from 310 gr to .433 round ball.
I was reading an article in field and stream a few weeks back, about a bear guide in Alaska, he carries a super blackhawk on his hip, he said he knows a hard cast 44 slug will go clean through a grizzlies head.
Ive thought on this for a long time, finding the the right caliber for me, where I live, etc.
The 45-70 is toooo heavy for when I want to go out on the back 40, walk to the fishing pond, do some berry picking, or just wanting to hike out on the property to post some no trespass signs.
I dont feel real comfortable with the 357 against aggressive bears or big cats.
year before last, neighbor was bow hunting way out on the back side of my property, over on his uncles land.
large aggressive black bear came out of nowhere and tried to shake him out of the tree stand.
Constable told me he was big,aggressive and territorial.
When I trap the bears do so much damage to my traps, they get into everything.
But having to check traps every 24 hours, it is much easier if im carrying that 44 mag rossi.
If im out walking around all day, the weight difference between the 45-70 and the rossi comes into play.
Now if im out just hunting i will take a 45-70 or 30-30.
I was looking at a charter arms 44 special bulldog last month, I believe it was just over $300, maybe $339.
If I dont want to carry the super blackhawk, the bulldog would be a nice alternative, it was light and small, should carry real nice while out in the woods.
I should have the rossi back in a week or two, will post pics then.
Right now the 44 rossi is my favorite for all around utility, farm working, running a trap line, truck gun,etc.
Here is a pic of the one I bought at buds.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... rrelWalnut
here is a pic of the bulldog.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... 4SP+2.5%22
I saw hickock 45 do a segment on the bulldog.
I am tempted to buy one
You can always shoot some 44 special cowboy loads for low recoil
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Had a Charter Arms Target Bulldog, and sold it. I liked everything about it, except that it liked to lock up in double action. After about 50 rounds, it would lock up fairly predictably. It was more reliable when it was clean, but I didn't want a revolver that I couldn't trust.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

A few years ago, Rossi offered an R44102 through the Academy Sports & Outdoors stores that you find along the Gulf Coast.

I already had the Taurus M44 which was a stainless 2.5" barreled revolver, but my nephew bought one when they ran their annual Black Friday Firearms Sale. This is a sale that in some locations guys will line up and camp out. He paid $270 for the revolver. I just looked but Academy doesn't even offer the Rossi brand anymore.
Michael
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Im saving up for this,
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... AG+4.62%22
They are rugged, reliable, easy to carry, tough as nails and will take a beating.
Load it up with 44 special or load down some 44 mag for light recoil.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Well, don't have a 44 mag, that's on hold until the 38-55 project is done. Do have a '92 in 45 Colt load everything from some locally cast 220 grain "flying thumb tacks" to my own cast 300+ grain flat points with gas checks. To date no known stability issues out to 100 yards. For plinking and general fun I use the lighter bullets and either Trail Boss or Black Horn 209. For serious loads it's heavier (250 and up) and as much H110 as I can handle which doesn't exceed max published by a bit. I also load for a convertible Black Hawk and on the upper end it is loaded a bit lighter than the rifle, there is only so much these old hands with tolerate with out complaining for days afterward :o .

Either of these 44Mag 45C would do what you want and while not as plentiful as the 44 there are plenty of 45C recipes out in the wild.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I need a rifle to go with the pistol. 44magnum
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

@OH3W - im surprised to hear the 300gr 45LC still shoot well out to 100yd, is that with H110? Ive heard mixed things about it, that it makes a big boom but doeant like being reduced and needs a mag primer

Took an inventory of my LGS limited selection and in pistol for zippy loads my options are basically H110 or HS6. Any thoughts or comments on either? Ideally id like a hot powder that would give best performance in a 16" barrel, with performance out of a pistol barrel a distant secondary concern. Further, the idea of keeping four different kinds of primers vs just two is disconcerting so if its true that H110 'needs' mag primers im not enthusiastic about it

As for lighter end loads im liking HP38 and when im done with it id like to explore Trail Boss, but again thats not a priority

So so far most people vouch for 44mag, one for 45LC, none for 45-70. Id like to hear from more people who have both (or all three!) to see which gives most versatility
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
SaltH2Odeprived

Post by SaltH2Odeprived »

For reference, this video is 45lc 325 grain gas check pushed with Lil Gun at 1,454 fps.
First two shots are 190 yards hitting a freon jug, third shot is 100 yards hitting steel plate.
Scope is Leupold FX-II Scout IER 2.5x28mm (not much magnification).
This load is very accurate, has hit everything while hunting.