Prescribed Burns

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
btoran

Re: Prescribed Burns

Post by btoran »

considering the hog problem there, why not put up fences first, then do the burn. you'd take care of the undergrowth and make bacon at the time time.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

LowKey wrote:For us city boys and girls, what benefits have you seen from your past burns?
It is used to remove the thatch that has built up from previous growth cycles, reduce the brush density, and in that that my place is undergoing a native prairie/savannah restoration (vs. improved pasture grasses), it is vital for utilizing the native seeds which require the heat to be productive. The latter is the crazy part of how nature provides before we interfered; no sense in wasting the seed on the ground unless the thatch buildup is gone and the ground is wet. How about we use a thunderstorm to ignite the prairie (heat the seed) and then use the rain to extinguish it; oh, even going to prep the soil with potash as a fertilizer. Our Native Americans and other aborigines around the globe figured this out and started taking control of nature by setting fires to make the process an annual event, and everything just got worse from there.

I plan a burning a particular unit at about a three to a four-year rotation. The properties along the highway might be burned more often as I'm concerned about a spark generated from that source. One year it was a wheel bearing going out on a trailer and coals from a Bar-B-Q pit. Yeah, they are on wheels here in Texas. There are a lot of idiots that will start their coals before they travel, so they will be ready when they get where they are going. I know, I know; unbelievable.
Michael
pacificpt

Post by pacificpt »

Hard to imagine lighting up the coals before you start driving someplace!