Red Fox

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Red Fox

Post by Moon Tree »

Ranch Dog wrote:Great shot moon and sage advice!
Thanks again everyone.

RD, the funny thing I see happening is the more I read and study the art of shooting AND the more shooting I do the better I get. Who would have thought? :) This website has been an inspiration to me.

I hope my posts like these do come off as boastful. Yes, I am proud of this 300 yard shot, but more so I'm proud of my journey to be able to make such a shot. As many of you who have followed my journey, I suffered nerve damage about 5 years ago as the result of a fall from a ladder. My 2nd rib on my right side was dislodged from my spine and sternum. Even after months of therapy and continual maintenance, I have a dull to sharp pain in my right shoulder, elbow and trigger finger. My trigger finger is partially numb. I had to retrain my index finger to smoothly do the trigger pull motion, instead of doing a jerking erratic motion.

Again, I'm not bragging, but hoping to inspire. As we age, we're all arevfaced with obstacles. We may need to modify the way we pursue our shooting sports. But, I encourage everyone not to accept those limits, but to push them.

Yes, I am proud of a 300 yard kill shot on a fox, but not in the "beat my chest--I'm the man" kind of way. I'm proud on my journey that gave the confidence to make the shot.

I encourage all you to share "your journey" no matter whether it's tightening up your 25 yard shot from a 3 inch group to an inch group or shooting an elk at 400 yards. I for one will be proud of your hard work. Because, I've been there.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
ksmoose

Post by ksmoose »

Moon I can relate to what you are saying. I fell off a roof 8 years ago and fractured, dislocated and completely detached rotater cuff on my right shoulder. Also nerve damage which never came back. I have about 50% usage of my right arm and can only lift 8/10 lbs shoulder high. I am able to shoot long guns and traditional bows with out much problem but struggle some with handguns, just need a rest. Like you say just stay with it.
btoran

Post by btoran »

GasGuzzler wrote:You killed Redd Foxx LOL
now THAT's funny!
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Moon that is awesome to hear and it's a good brag have +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

btoran wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:You killed Redd Foxx LOL
now THAT's funny!
Thanks for noticing.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Moon, really appreciate your journey and you perseverance a lot of folks would have taken up a new hobby. I'm watching linda struggle with a similar problem. She suffers from being right handed and left eyed and due to a sever accident in the lab has no feeling in the first 2 joints of her left trigger finger. With rifles she has taught her second finger to do the job and is still a pretty decent rifle shot, handguns present a bigger challenge in the 90s she was a triple A IHMSA big bore unlimited shooter now she feels good if she keep 90% in a B27 at 10 yards. She works at it aand I believe she'll get it if the ammo loader can keep up :D .

Three hundred yards on a fox size target is a heck of shot in any book.

Merry Christmas and a great new year to you and yours.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Ohio, thanks for sharing. I wish Linda the best of luck. I am right handed and left eye dominate. Yes, I do partially close my left eye when I shoot. Not the best form, I know. One of my goals for 2017 is to learn to shoot handguns left handed. Just an idea, but Linda might do better shooting right handed. It would take some practice to get the muscle memory to the point she improves. Just a thought. I'm pulling for her.

Well, I've moved to topic completely off the subject of a fox hunt. Maybe I should start a new about overcoming physical obstacles in shooting. It could be like a support group for all of us.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

It no doubt would have a huge following, I'd be first
in line as another right handed left eye dominate
shooter.
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns