First pigs with the 16" .45 Colt!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
-Zee

First pigs with the 16" .45 Colt!

Post by -Zee »

Went out about 11 last night to hunt down the corn thieves from a freshly cut field. Nothing was going on, so I walked around the corn stubble trying to find the best place to ambush the porcine. In walking around, I realized that the crusty dirt and stubble was rather loud to walk. So.............I walked back to the truck and took off my boots. Bare feet it would be.

I went back to a good centrally located spot from the two places I figured they would come. Laid down in the field..........and took a nap. About every 30 minutes or so, I would sit up and look around.

Last night, I saw the pigs enter the field about 3:30 in the morning. So, about 3:15 I started making my way towards the hole in the fence I saw them leave the trees. About half way there........black shapes came out in the open. Then, they darted back into the brush. A few seconds later, they came back out. Just to dart back in again. Finally, they slowly came back out. One at a time. It was the same 5 pigs I saw last night and they were right on cue at 3:30 again.

They slowly made their way out into the field and I slowly crept towards their line of travel. Like ducks in a row, they trotted towards the corn and at 16 yards........as they passed by me...........I placed the dot of the laser on the head of the lead pig.

BOOM! I sent a 250gr XTP bullet through the head of my target. Striking him between the ear and eye as he traveled broadside to me. At the shot, he dropped and 4 other piggies scattered like quail. As they ran away, I lased another and dropped him with a quartering away spine shot that entered the middle of the right ribs and exited just behind the left shoulder.

And three little pigs scurried off into the darkness.

A pig for my friend and a pig for me. Couldn't be better.

There is no autopsy tonight as well, one was a head shot and the other a spine. Not much to autopsy. Besides, I was racing to get them to the house and quartered on ice as it was still pretty warm. And.......in my hast........I sliced my left index finger pretty good.

Stuck that sucker about halfway through to the other side. Oops.

Pig 1 @ 16 yards

Pig 2 @ 30 yards

They were both boars but perfect eating size. Gonna be yum!

Bare feet...................

That's how I roll!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: First pigs with the 16" .45 Colt!

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Nice shooting, but ouch.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That's good work and glad to see other at it. I've shot one at 12:30 two nights ago. Been looking for a large boar that has been around but he is one crafty weasel.

Yesterday, at about 9:00 in the morning I walked to a little, little pond that is in some brush just out of sight from my house. No distance at all. I just wanted to see if there was any water in the sink hole. As I approached the wet spot I could see this 250 lb+ boar was "collapsed" near the water line. Now I was getting ready to mow my lawn so I didn't have a gun, I was just curious as to if the hole had any water in it. He looked dead as a door nail. Didn't have a phone on me to call my wife or dad to bring me a gun. I watched him hard for seven minutes and I did not see him breath or any kind of a twitch. Archery season has been open and there is always night hunting going on around me so I thought he must have been hit, came to the pond, and died. I know while there was water in the hole he was using it and nothing else does as it is rather nasty. I kept looking back to the houses to see if anyone would come out so I could signal that I needed a gun as I was not going to get down in there with him. Finally, I gave up and slipped back to the house to get a gun and come back. You guessed it, he was playing possum, and hit the brush while I was gone. He has got the dead hog routine down,... weasel!

Very nice job on the barefoot work!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice work zee, and RD its funny how smart animals can be for sure.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

No socks? Nice shooting. Musta had a good hiding place to get sorta close.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
-Zee

Post by -Zee »

It was dark and the wind was in my favor.
ksmoose

Post by ksmoose »

If I had went barefoot they would have been long gone. Ow, ooh, ouch, darn, I have to have shoes. Good job Zee.
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

ksmoose wrote:If I had went barefoot they would have been long gone. Ow, ooh, ouch, darn, I have to have shoes. Good job Zee.
Lol KSmoose.

Great report Zee.