Hunting with my primitive bow

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Hunting with my primitive bow

Post by Moon Tree »

It finally cooled down to seasonal temps in KY. Last Thursday evening I headed to one of my stands with my primitive bow that I made last Feb. The bow shoots well, better than I do most of the time. But, when my mind is right and my focus is on, a 10 ring is no problem on my limited 15 yard distance. Thirty minutes before dark-thirty I head something coming.

It was a couple nice does. One would have field dressed over 110 lb. They never got closer than 40 yards. It was still very cool seeing deer on my farm.

Friday evening I'm hunting a different stand, playing the wind. I'm hunting on the edge of a grown up, mature tree fence line. I'm expecting deer to come from my right--down wind. I look to the food plots on my left and there stands a doe staring at me. She 80 yards out. She twitches her tail a couple times and departs way from me.

Sunday morning I go back to above stand. While pulling my bow up with a string at pre-shooting light. I hear a snort. Busted.

I'm a happy hunter. Three hunts and I'm in deer every outing.

The down side is I probably won't get to bow hunt again for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. I have a Halloween party to plan for next weekend. The following weekend is muzzleloading season and I'll be hunting with friends on their farms.

Man I'm loving these 50 degree nights and 70 degree days of autumn

Happy hunting everyone.
Dave
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hunting with my primitive bow

Post by Ranch Dog »

As always, you have a great gift in how you spare your love of the outdoors and I appreciate your post!

Same kind of weather here for a week now. Nothing like it for an outdoorsman! Our archery season started Saturday, but I know longer hunt it. I'm a Type I Managed Land and next year there will be some changes to laws to align us with Type II & III Managed Land so our hunting season will run from the first Saturday of September to the last Sunday of February. I was quite disappointed when the biologist told me that. Of course, it isn't a free for all of killing that length of time as you only get so many buck and doe permits issued specifically to the property and don't use the State tags attached to your license. It is just a bit bit weird to me that you can pursue deer over such a long period using an legal means to take them (archery, firearms, or muzzleloader). It kind of kills the anticipation of an opening day as the first of September is usually a day that exceeds 100º here. I probably will not tell anybody hunting here that it has changed as it it is not something that would be read in the Hunting Guide but just let them continue to start on the first Saturday of November. ;)
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Great read as always I'm so happy fall weather is here to.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

End up not lasting to long for me, 95º on my range today. Bummer!

Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Thanks RD. I grew up in a "story telling" family in Eastern KY. At family gatherings, which just seemed to happen at least once every couple of weeks, after dinner the men would move to the living room to tell hunting and fishing stories, while the women cleared the table and sat down to talk women stuff. Sitting crossed legged on the floor, I learned from the masters of yarn spinning. I had a blessed childhood.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

we are on our second snow storm of the year already and looking at more tonight.
it's gonna warm up here shortly though, the deer hunt starts Monday and runs for 14 days.
1 deer, boy only, 14 day's, maybe, if you see one, good luck.
the doe's are already down on the farms and the bucks are up high and alone.