Another Year!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another Year!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well here it is another start of Whitetail Deer Season in Texas! This is my 48 opener and I think I can remember everyone of them. Last couple of years I've been sitting with my Dad until he is finished. He is hunting with a Glenfield 30GT and my TLC311-165-RF. I will tote the R92 in 45 Colt with my TLC454-290-RF. I will hunt everyday of the next sixty except for two travel days to and from a nilgai hunt down on the border.

Not the best weather I've seen, mid sixties, foggy, and will move in the mid eighties today. A peak rut is just trailed off so it will be a bit slow may be. That said, I've seen some exceptional bucks in the last couple of days looking for that last "hot" doe.

Couple of other hunters are going out as well.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Another Year!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, well... off to a slow start. We all saw good bucks in the moon light before legal shooting light but nothing after the start but does, fawns, and small bucks.

Funny, I was sitting there looking at my dad and noticing small things like the Craftsman (Sears & Robuck) hunting knife on his belt. Been there 48 years!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

It takes you back every time like a time machine at least for me. Glad I am not alone on this. Good luck on your hunts RD hope you get a great buck.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My dad passed on a nice buck this morning, I'm glad he did as in two more years he will be something to see. Any choice he makes is good with me.

I had a young man hunting the other side of the place, mainly wanting a trophy hog. He didn't see the hog but he did help out with the management tasks by shooting this spike as it walked by.

Nine year old J. B. shot the deer from the box blind in the background when the deer walked across the sendero about 9:30 this morning. He is shooting a Remlin 336Y (Remington did a good deed bringing the Youth rifle back) and my C311-170-RF over 30 grains of Varget for 1850 FPS. This load duplicates the terminal performance and recoil of the 1894C (357 Mag) shooting my TLC359-175-RF.

He didn't get the hog he was looking for but following the trail the deer took 60-yards into the brush produced a trophy hog jaw bone!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good times, good times! On our way out to my dad's blind, I noticed two bucks and a doe standing in the shade of a huisache tree, facing into the wind which was away from us. We put our work gloves on and on our hands and knees circumnavigated downwind of them. Never knew we were there despite being very close. Not too bad for an 83 and 58 year old. The hardest part was not laughing. Hotter than hades though!

All grammar and spelling errors courtesy of my DROIDX and Tapatalk!
Michael
izzyjoe

Post by izzyjoe »

Glad to hear you and you're dad are having a great time hunting. i live for deer season, just wish my dad would want to hunt with me. you're a lucky man! :)