More Pigs!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
-Zee

More Pigs!

Post by -Zee »

A few weeks ago, a farmer told me about a new property he just harvested and plowed. Said the pigs were leaving craters in the field. More work to be done.

So, I packed up my trusty .243 Medium which has become a rather effective pig slayer. Headed out about 9 o'clock in the evening and followed the directions to the field. Arriving, I looked across the new field to a SWARM of pigs and deer. To say that it was a target rich environment was an understatement. In fact.......it was SUCH a target rich environment that......coupled with the deer........there was no way I could stalk out into the field without spooking SOMETHING!!! The wind was wrong and I'd have to pass deer before I could get close enough to the pigs. The deer would spook and the gig would be up.

I actually stood there on the edge of the field for quite some time. Trying to figure out what I was going to do. I finally saw some pigs enter the field to my left, which was down wind. Being the closest and clear of deer, I headed down the edge of the field towards them. When I got to where they had entered the field, I turned right and started closing the distance towards them with a cross wind now.

I got about 140-160 yards from them and leaned up against a pivot tire. Two boars were returning towards the edge of the field and entering the down wind side of me. So, I lined up on the front boar and sent a 105gr A-Max from the .243 Winchester into his shoulder. Heard the hit and saw him take off left towards the field's edge. I panned right to the second boar who had run the opposite direction, further into the field. He stopped and spun around looking for his partner. Shooting him behind the shoulder and hearing the impact, he took off again towards the field's edge his partner had taken. Working the bolt, I hit him again before he reached the tree line and dropped him at the edge of the field. The first boar had exited the field and entered the brush line.

Gathered my things and walked over to the second boar.

I figure he is about a 200 pounder. Give or take a bit.

After the pictures, I gathered my gear again and walked back out into the field. The vast herds had moved off to the other side of the field with all the commotion. But, there all by himself........in the middle......was a rather large boar. Oh, it was ON!!

Had a cross wind, so I started closing the distance. Made it to about 110 yards and laid down prone. Got him in my sight picture as he fed along and sent a 105gr A-Max on it's way. At the impact, he roinked and took off for the brush. I worked the bolt, swung past him with the crosshairs, and sent another round on it's way. The impact dropped him as he tumbled over end. Then, he sat up on his butt unable to regain his feet. Slowly, he sank to his chest.

Moving closer.....slowly. He got bigger. At about 20 yards.........he looked pretty big.......and not dead. But, he wasn't moving. Just laying there upright with his ears up. That ain't a dead posture. So, I threw a dirt clod at him. Nothing. I threw another. Nothing. He didn't look like he was breathing. Wasn't making any noise. I took a few more steps towards him and............Up raised his head and looked my way. OK......he ain't dead......and he's a bit big.

Sat down and put another A-Max below his ear. Now.............he was dead.

That's a big pig. And the way he's laying is the way he was when I shot him under the ear. I didn't move him. I COULDN'T move him! Well, I could roll him, but there wouldn't be any dragging. I would have loved to weight him. There ain't no way in Hell I was dragging him off the field and even if I could drive to him.........I couldn't get him in the truck bed. No.........way.

I am not one of those that exaggerates pig size and calls a 250 pounder a 500 pound pig. If I can't scale him, I won't say a weight. But, I couldn't move him and I've drug a 325 pound pig before. So........it is what it is. A big pig!

He has some pretty good tusks I went back for the next day.

Ended the night by loading the second pig into my truck and taking him home.
-Zee

Re: More Pigs!

Post by -Zee »

Went back today to cut the jaws off the big pig. In the process, I looked around for the first pig I'd shot. Walked the dirt road I thought he'd crossed while looking for blood or tracks. Then in the thick brush separating the farmer's field and the road, I discerned the faint shape of a snout in the shadow of the brush. He had almost made it to the road.

I drug him out in the road and took a picture.

He is about the size of the second one I shot. 200ish pounds.

Walked over to the big one and scared about 15 buzzards off him.

Measured him with my 3' tape.

5' from tip of nose to base of tail

5' in diameter around his stomach

Cut the jaws off..........

.......and headed for the truck.

There is harvested corn all over the field. And pig tracks. Lots........of pig tracks.

I'm gonna need a bigger boat!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Big Tex.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yes Sir, those are some big ole shovel heads. Same as a three bottom moldboard plow turning that field continuously! Well done!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice work and good trophy tusks/teeth.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
btoran

Post by btoran »

wow! looks like you'll be makin' bacon for a while.
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!