Three Legged Boar

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Three Legged Boar

Post by Ranch Dog »

Just smoked a feral hog at 6:00 am with my Savage 170 chambered in 35 Rem using my TLC359-190-RF. Love the 35 Rem; shooting a Marlin 336D, Remington 600, & the Savage.

Don't really need to hotrod the cartridge either especially with a lead RF or FN bullet. With the Savage I use 35.0 grains of H4895 and from the 22" barrel see only 1970 FPS with the 190 grain bullet. Still, at 80 yards it dropped the hog like a sack of taters.

Love this rifle but I guess I love them all or I get rid of them. Actually, I always felt the 170 was a real under appreciated "sleeper" especially the rifles chambered in 35 Rem. This rifle has a Weaver 2-7x32 but after one more shot, that scope is being moved to my Rem 722 chambered in 300 Savage. I'm going to put a Sightron SI Hunter 1.75-4x32. I'm looking at that scope to replace a number of Bushnell 1.5-4.5x32s.

I might have had a run in with this hog at some time past, It is missing it's left front leg! Perfect alignment for the shoulder shot that drops them hard... gone low.

He is getting big enough to start pushing out some nice cutters...

Well, I got to get busy, long live the 35 Rem!
Michael
jdl447

Re: Three Legged Boar

Post by jdl447 »

Nice looking rifle. Those must be some tough critters.
No hogs in my state. I'm sure the soybean and corn farmers are happy we don't .
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jdl447 wrote:Nice looking rifle. Those must be some tough critters.
No hogs in my state. I'm sure the soybean and corn farmers are happy we don't .
Honestly, I would not wish these critters on anybody. The reality is that this is the zombie invasion, they just don't stop coming.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Awesome, It's always a head scratcher when seeing wildlife and odd injuries. It sure doesn't look like it was starving from being 3 legged. Amazing how life adapts +guns Agreed they are being seen a lot more in Ohio and we get pretty cold no need for any more wild life like this here.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

From what I read at the ODNR sight they are mostly down in South central and SE part of the state in the Wayne National Forrest area. They encourage hunting and they also have an active trapping program, but I suspect it doesn't keep up with the reproductive rate. Right now it's no limit no closed season except for the week of deer gun and as long as you have a deer tag you're free to shoot pigs.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:From what I read at the ODNR sight they are mostly down in South central and SE part of the state in the Wayne National Forrest area. They encourage hunting and they also have an active trapping program, but I suspect it doesn't keep up with the reproductive rate. Right now it's no limit no closed season except for the week of deer gun and as long as you have a deer tag you're free to shoot pigs.
Good to hear Ohio is on it.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Yes, a year or so back we had a semi load of piglets overturn in the next county over and they were all over that to make sure they had them rounded up. I never did hear if they accounted for all of them or not, but they had every body exited not just wildlfe and the state ag people.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
-Zee

Post by -Zee »

That's awesome! I REALLY love pig hunting.

Cool looking rifle as well.
-Zee

Post by -Zee »

Oh, I like the coloration of that pig too. And the missing leg just points to their tenacity.
pacificpt

Post by pacificpt »

Really nice looking rifle, and interesting seeing how the three legger seemed to be doing alright for himself. O