What hunting are you planning?

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

What hunting are you planning?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Here on the ranch for me not even sure what I'm gon'na use but will rotate through rifles weekly.

Bought a permit for the first week on November on the Aransas NWR, my neighbor and I are going to do the hour drive daily for something different. I will be using my Marlin 375 XS Scout along with my TLC379-235-RF for that hunt.

I've applied for everything that Texas has to offer as far as public hunting goes but too early to tell how that will work out.

What plans do you have?
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: What hunting are you planning?

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Aside from small game on the assorted public hunting areas around here hopefully whitetail also on public land. Got a couple spots to check and as soon as squirrel opens on the 1st I'll be out scouting and hunting.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Ground hog and coon mostly pest control with nuisance permits. I'll be trapping them or shooting prefered to shoot . I get paid 30 bucks for either I get on 3 different farms. 30 bucks 1 time not for every one lol +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Archery season for deer starts Sept. 3 here. I'll be hunting with an osage bow that I made. Between now and then. I'll be attending my dove field and trying to add a few more squirrels to the freezer, as well as bush hogging some trails for deer season.

Oct 15 and 16 will find me on one of my friend's, Brian, farms for early muzzleloader deer season.

Come November rifle season for deer, I'll be on Brian's farm(s) hunting. My arsenal will include: a Rossi .357 mag and a .45 Colt, a Blackhawk in the same calibers and a Savage .243 for longer shots in the bottom land soy beans.

Fall is nearly here. My body is craving nuts and pastries, like fried apple pies. All animals try to load up on carbs prior to winter. At my age I struggle to resist the temptation.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Right now, here in South Texas, is when the summer seems to be so long. It will be early October before you can feel fall in the air.
Michael
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Reading about eating squirrel, complaining about the size of them here,,,,,my wife reminded me.
South, just into Arizona, in tne Kiabab, they have large tree squirrel.
Bucket list hunt
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Just had the initial hunt of the year, doves. I took my new Turkish O/U in 28 ga. to ring in the new season. That 28 kills them same as the 1100 12 ga. I have used for years. Also, that's the most factory loads I have fired in one day in years. I had some trouble finding 28 ga. ammo but in the end I secured a few extra boxes so there was no danger of running out of ammo. This is a very neat shotgun and it came with an additional set of barrels chambered for .410 shotshells. I'm anxious to give this one a try on rabbits but my new hound Smoke seems to forget his name when he's off the leash which can lead to some trying days afield.

Mid October brings in our early doe season which is an early muzzleloader doe season and also a conventional rifle doe season for junior & senior hunters. This early season is where I hope to bag a doe with a Ranch Dog bullet fired from one of my Marlins, probably going to use the 444P for this early season.

When the regular season comes around for deer I will be out there using one of several cast bullet rifles but would really like to take a buck with my Ruger M 77/44 although my old Ruger M77, 30-06 hasn't been hunting in years and I really miss not taking a deer with it in probably 10 years because of these lever action rifles.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good to hear that the O/U was a success. .410 barrels, that is very nice.

I'm finishing up the work with my Marlin 375 and the TLC379-235-RF as it is up first this year, first weekend in November for a NWR hunt. This has taken a bit of time to get figured out as I had to do a bit more fitting that I expected on the XS scout mount. I should be done with it this week. Then I'm going to go back through the setup of the 444P with my TLC432-355-RF to make sure I'm happy with it.

I have a new cannon on the ranch that needs to be prepped for this year's hunting, a Navy Arms/Gibbs Summit. These were SMLE No. 4 MkI action that were rebuilt and rebarrel to 45-70 Govt. I always said that the next one I saw I would buy. Been awhile but I did.

Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

I forgot to mention that elk isn't on the hunt agenda for this year, again, since we weren't drawn. So it is with regrets that I never got to hunt an elk and I figured that this would probably be my last year to be up to an elk hunt. If my son or son-in-law ever gets drawn I would probably go along to be an assistant to the assistants that drag these monsters out of the woods.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:I forgot to mention that elk isn't on the hunt agenda for this year, again, since we weren't drawn. So it is with regrets that I never got to hunt an elk and I figured that this would probably be my last year to be up to an elk hunt. If my son or son-in-law ever gets drawn I would probably go along to be an assistant to the assistants that drag these monsters out of the woods.
Sorry to hear about the elk tag not being drawn. :(
Michael