What hunting are you planning?

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
DennisH

Re: What hunting are you planning?

Post by DennisH »

I also have the whole week off!!!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

DennisH wrote:They are calling for up to 10 inches of snow for Sunday night!
Good luck! With that forecast the bucks would be safe down here! It was 86º at midday yesterday. Still out mowing the lawn :cry:
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Good morning Rossi Riflemen,

I started the morning with a loud bang today around 2:15 AM. I was descending the stairs to let the dog out and I missed a step or whatever but at any rate I fell the 3-5 steps remaining on the flight. Various parts of my torso, legs, feet and hands were aching so as I sat there on the bottom step I took a quick inventory of parts and they felt like there weren't any broken. I hope these remaining pains disappear before our deer opener on Monday.

Deer season runs two weeks, minus Sundays, with does coming in on Saturday of the first week and every day in the last season. Mike only has two days of work in mid second week. I don't believe that he will shoot a doe. My doe tag is gone but I still have a buck tag remaining. First day rifle has been decided, my second 38-55, one of the last built by Marlin Firearms. I'll be shooting RD's 250 gr. FN sized to .279. Later in the week,if necessary, I will switch to my 444P and another RD bullet, his 300 gr. FNGC. This was my late wife's last gift to me and it will never be gone from my house.

Good luck to all. We were spoiled with all the mild weather now it's in the low 30's or lower every morning and the wind has been terrible. But we've survived worse than this and expect we'll survive this too.

Frank
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Durn! I'm glad you are able to type and tell us about this fall. I know you left out the part where Smoke came to you with cell phone in mouth so that you could call help if needed. Really hate hearing this but keep focused on hunting season.

I feel quite honored that my bullet designs will be resting in the Marlins but ready for use. That .279" bullet might really rattle down the barrel. I know, it's a typo but just could resist!

I'm prepping a couple of rifles for next weeks mule deer hunt. Really haven't decided which two get to go.
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Hello Michael,

That .379 isn't a typo as the barrel on that rifle was made by Marlin and measures .378 -.3785 The .379 diameter also worked on the first Marlin 38-55 I had so I was happy when the Marlin rebarrelel one measured the same and I am still happy with it.

Both my wrists are swollen and hurt whenever I try to do something. Smoke would get a steak dinner if he brought me anything I wanted, cell phone, but that isn't in the cards. He finally learned to sit though and now I'm waiting for him to stop nipping my fingers when I try to give him a treat after he shakes "hands". But, he has a home for life here even after trying to chase all the deer from one of our townships about three weeks ago (we were hunting rabbits).

Good luck to you with all the upcoming events you are hunting. Is your dad going to try shooting one this year? I hope you two can find some time to squeeze into a blind and smack one for Pop.

Frank
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:I'll be shooting RD's 250 gr. FN sized to .279.
Steelbanger wrote:Is your dad going to try shooting one this year? I hope you two can find some time to squeeze into a blind and smack one for Pop.
We haven't yet but he wants to shoot a doe. With the length of our deer season, we decided to let my friend Joe kill a buck and once he is done, find a doe that suits my dad.
Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Good morning,

Now I see the typo! Boy, did they ever hate typos at work. Its a very good thing that I don't have to do that anymore..279 isn't even close to .379. My march into oblivion just got picked up by a fighter jet. Turning 76 was the clue for me.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:Good morning,

Now I see the typo! Boy, did they ever hate typos at work. Its a very good thing that I don't have to do that anymore..279 isn't even close to .379. My march into oblivion just got picked up by a fighter jet. Turning 76 was the clue for me.
Ahhh... don't doubt yourself, you are doing fine!
Michael