A squirrel with a family heirloom

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

A squirrel with a family heirloom

Post by Moon Tree »

Brian and I along with other friends used to start the "hunting" season with the first weekend of squirrel season the third weekend in Aug. Life got in the way and we missed several years. We restarted the tradition in 2012. Brian's farm is 200 arces split by a dead end county road. His cabin is called the "Lodge" because, well, it looks like a hunting lodge with deer, wild boar, turkey, bobcat and trout mounts. And it's "wife" friendly with solar generators, indoor plumbing and water via a gravity flow rain barrel. If the barrel runs low of water, we just go down the bank to the Cumberland River to refill it.

I love fried squirrel. It's only second to elk as my favorite meat. If I were on death row and requesting my last meal, it would be fried squirrel, squirrel gravy, biscuits, over easy eggs and homefries.

Brian and Mike like squirrel, but it's not their favorite meat. Both of them HATE skinning squirrel. I'd rather clean 10 squirrels as to 1 rabbit. Also, I'm into a Paleo diet. I would prefer to eat meat I've killed rather store bought meat. So the deal is: shoot all the squirrels you can and I'll clean them.

I usually pick a theme for the hunt--that being the firearms we use. This year I wanted to to gather meat we use shotguns but to have fun, we'd carry sidearms for fun. Rimfire handguns just became legal in KY this year.

Brian and Mike would be hunting with Ruger Mark III. I chose to hunt with a S&W model 48 .22 magnum with an 8 3/8 barrel

An impromptu hunt happened. Brian and I are sitting on the deck of the Lodge when squirrels started squacking. Upon Brian's suggestion, we had brought our handguns out to the table on the deck just in case a squirrel wondered by. All the squacking irritated Brian. He thought they were being belligerent. And, they were. So we headed toward the commotion.

The river bank is a steep drop from the flood pane to the water. There are soy beans planted in the flood plane and Brian had bush hogged a path around them. We always argue over who's being the shooter and who's being the driver. It always come down to positioning and practicality. While Brian and I are competitive hunter we are extreme happy with on another's successes.

My position dictated that I should step into the steeps, thick river bank to be the driver. Brian and I have hunted together for 35 years. We don't need to talk, because we know what the other one do in most any situation.

As we're approaching the squacking squirrel, I heard another one cutting on a walnut. So does Brian. He and I make eye contact. I hold up 2 fingers. He nods. Just as I was about to commit to breaking through the thick stuff on the edge of the field, I see the squirrel who's munching on the walnut sitting on a bare limb. Brian, just sensing that something is up, turns to look at me then focuses his gaze to the woods.

The lighting was perfect. I could see the post front sight and the squirrel. I touch off the shot. Much to my surprise the squirrel drops without so much as quiver. When the squirrel thuds on the ground I look to Brian. He gives me a "thumbs up."

This was the first time ever I hunted with my grandfather's revolver. I doubt I'v ever shot more than a box (50 rounds) through it. I knew it was a sweet shooting gun

While Pappy was not a hunter himself, he admired those who loved animal and practice good hunting ethics and conservation. Side note: Pappy hopped (a hobo) a freight to to Wyoming to work with the WPA (initials could be wrong) to develop Yellow Stone National Forest. He was a character. Whom I loved very much. To take game with his firearm will always be one of my most cherished memories.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Moon Tree on 22 Aug 2016 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
ksmoose

Re: A squirrel with a family heirloom

Post by ksmoose »

Moon, you are a good story teller, thank you. Way to put your grandfathers revolver to good use.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Ow you started it now, squirrel with seasoned flour(sometimes corn breading) breading and fried with morals or puffball. Oh man I'm in billhilly heaven. Some shine to respect it all after done and my pipe after I am finished. With feet by the fire. Memories I need to reenact again. The season don't always line up but I made it work years ago maybe someday again. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Thanks Moose,

Ak, memories done happen unless you make them happen. Get out there and do it.
:)
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Another good tale Moon. thanks for stirring the ole memory bank.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

I think I forgot to mention that we took 18 squirrels that weekend. I put 15 packs (meals) in the freezer. My goal is 26 meals in the freezer. That will allow me to have a squirrel dinner every 2 weeks for the year. GRIN
Steve-R
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Steve-R »

Moon Tree wrote:I think I forgot to mention that we took 18 squirrels that weekend. I put 15 packs (meals) in the freezer. My goal is 26 meals in the freezer. That will allow me to have a squirrel dinner every 2 weeks for the year. GRIN
I'm going to try to get some squirrel and rabbit this year.
I have grown really fond of making gravy with turkey and having it over toast. I am thinking that squirrel and rabbit should be equally as good.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well done and well told Moon!
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Moon, curious, what brand 22WMR are you using for squirrel? Thinking about using the 10" Single six at least part of the time this year.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That's a fact moon. You done n talked me into it I'm fishing this week weather permitting catching some crappie n small mouth n rock bass. Gonna cook them on the fire like when I was younger. I have rest of week off so I got the time.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!