Unwelcome guest in the chicken coop

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Unwelcome guest in the chicken coop

Post by Moon Tree »

AK, thank your some much for your post. I am 1/16th Cherokee. So, hunting is in my blood, so to speak. But, also, is the respect for all living creatures. I am very happy that bobcats call my farm home. But, when they start taking food from my table, we become adversaries. I still have the highest of respect for them trying to make a living, but they have to go. The bobcat did everything it could to survive and I did everything I could to protect my property. I got lucky this time and won. It was a battle that last an hour or more. She was a worth opponent. I sprinkled tobacco over her and sent up a prayer.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

At the risk of sounding naive, could someone explain the "sprinkle tobacco on the remains". Obviously some symbolism, but I am unfamiliar.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

It is a way to honor the prey or food you have taken form the earth. You use tobacco to reach peace with yourself and sometimes others and in that sharing it with that animals spirit also brings it peace. It is like a balance to the chaos with the spirit world we never want to disrespect. Ying and yang but in native American ideals. Balance is needed. All regions see this differently no set way but respect given to any life taken or fallen is a must for peace and balance.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GSB4243

Post by GSB4243 »

Thanks for the explanation. I also Googled it and found a very similar explanation after some serious digging. A lot can be gained from the giving of respect in a lot of arenas, not only hunting...
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

Moon Tree, great story!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Moose, all the predation we've had has been during broad daylight when we let the chickens out to forage. My coop is build vary well. I dug a 14" deep trench around it. Then nailed tin that comes up about a foot above ground and 14" below ground. I, also bent a foot of tin at a 90 degree angle away from the pen. A varmit will have to do a lot of digging through shale to get to my chickens. Also, there is rat-wire under the flooring that extends 30" up the wall.

rondog, The coop is 8' by 8'. The pen is 50' by 12'. The picture was taken in my yard after I pulled the cat out.

KY has a bobcat season that run Nov. 26 to Feb 28 this year. KY is pretty understanding of removing nuisance predators, especially when they are caught in the act.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Great minds think alike. My pen is 60X10 but by coop is much smaller at about 6X3. I only HAD six laying hens but have three baby chicks now too young to sex. One of my hens got really broody so my wife got some fertilized eggs from a friend for her to hatch. All three hatched the same day a couple weeks ago. No roosters in town so we might have to eat a couple.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Gas, we've only had a couple chicks to hatch out. I think my roosters we shooting blanks. Or, the breeds didn't cross.

My initial plan for the pen/coop was to raise and slaughter chickens then sanitize and raise quail. My wife fussed about the idea of "stinky birds" on the farm. She has kind of a phobia about feathers. After several years of this debate, I finally said this is what I'm doing. Well before I got half the chickens in the freezer, she fell in love with chickens in the yard and we've had them ever since. And, I've not raised the first quail.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

We should post pics.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
pacificpt

Post by pacificpt »

Glad you were able to get the chicken thief. A bobcat can really roar like a lion when they want to. I think most people who have not heard one would be surprised to hear just how they can roar.