Cat stories?

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cat stories?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Interesting. My wildlife management plan provided by Texas Parks and Wildlife calls for the eradication of all feral species; cat, dogs, and hogs. I put cats in with the other egg eaters; bobcats, opossums, raccoons, skunks, etc. They are absolute hell on game and song birds.

Cats are hard to hunt. Just shot a big tom feral cat last week. We have a ranch cat that my parents call theirs and he can hold his own with just about anything as he has survived about 8 years of service patrolling the ranch yard at night. He started to get whooped up, every night in a row but I could not figure out who was doing it. Finally, from reading scat, I saw this fellow was eating a lot of bugs. I told everyone that I was going to turn off every outdoor light we have except the one out beyond my back door and that I would kill this cat within three nights or it would move on in search of food. First night, I shot this dude at 20 yards with an express load of 12 gauge BBs. End of problem... next! It was quicker than expected but a tom has to eat.
Michael
Okie44

Post by Okie44 »

akuser47 wrote:I forgot my mom has a in house cat she lives in my downstairs apartment so that may backfire on me. Huh :lol: What to do plus it will be a process to train the dog. I wish I could just use the nuisance permit could be signed for like a time period or a season.

I think Blue Healers are born trained. Seems everyone I've been around were hard on Cats.
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The nearest city to me opened a no kill pet adoption center and that has done wonders for me as a ranch owner only 10 miles from town. I only have true feral animals show up not abandoned critters and that is a huge difference. It is also why I don't see dogs, if I do they usually have a collar and I get them home pronto.
Michael
runfiverun
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by runfiverun »

most dogs need 0 training to remove cats from their property, it's just how things work.
the last couple of dogs I have had would remove cat's and anything smaller than them [and most anything bigger too] from anywhere within sight radius of the house.
they left the daughters house cat alone, no problems.
they wouldn't even look at the cows or the horses in the pasture either, but if one of the neighbors come anywhere close they got sent back where they come from pronto.
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

akuser47 wrote:Ok I live in a small city, and the cats in my neighborhood are so thick its ridiculous. I used to trap near 60 a year and take them to the humane society. They now want 25 bucks a piece for me to do that. It's illegal to kill them it's illegal to release again and its illegal to relocate. So what options are there anyone else have Kitty problems. I'm not joking I'm looking for ideas to try and talk to the game warden and local humane offices to see if we can solve it. I have no issue with humanely putting them down as cost to feed them is to high just to many. I also know few would agree to this as an option. I just don't want activists upset. So keep this in mind, and I want to stay legal as both my neighbors are animal lovers and probably part of the problem. Ok less hear ideas if you got them? +corn

$25 for the tax funded shelter to accept them.....illegal to kill em....illegal to trap and release or relocate?
...........and I thought we had a bunch of morons making the rules....... :?:
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

I am so tempted !!!
I've got the same problem with ferals and ole Flash almost dislocates my
shoulder when he spots one. No fenced yard so we get our exercise by
walking with him on a spring leash. Ever try to hold on to a 109 lb GS
when he hits the end of one of those leashes ?

I've spoken with the neighbors who claim " they're not mine " who I see
putting out food for them. So what can a person do ? Animal Control is
no help ... rat shot or the .410 ??? First time I shot one a Black & White
would be in the driveway post haste.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Steve-R
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Steve-R »

Live trap, then take them on a one way trip to introduce them to a 22.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I best lay low,,,just I been referred as the Grimm Reaper for strays, I always am the first guy people ask to take the dog or cat and have it put down. :evil:
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I might start putting cans of aldi mystery meats out on my busy road let the cars hammer them.lol
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I didn't go back through to see if you had it covered AK but what about a good dog with an attitude towards cat. Maybe even borrow one from a friend.
Michael