Porcupine

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Porcupine

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

So, we got our annual trip up to the forest where I drove cows years ago.
We were all together and I got told my Grand Daughter was bringing her big dog,,,, that makes three
So I said,,, when we get there I will ask you all to hold the dogs while I rid the area of porcupines and badgers, with the Circuit Judge.
So the daughter says "don't let the kids see you shoot one." You all get where this is going, I'm sure
So I says, do I wait until the badger has a grandkid by the leg, then can I shoot?
Them grand kids will all be shooting,,,,and last year the grand daughter and step mom went squirrel hunting. +guns
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Porcupine

Post by Ranch Dog »

When my grandkids moved to the ranch, I spent a lot of time with my 10 year old granddaughter in these matters as I thought with her being city raised she might have a problem with the killing that takes place on my place. She quickly saw first hand all the feral hog stuff; the damage, the work to fix it, and the killing to prevent it. Same with all the critters that spend their time trying to get under and up in your home. Finally, the whitetails and everything associated with them from sculpting the land to their needs through the hunt.

She and I were out in the yard, within her first year, probably playiing pitch with a baseball. I'm always watching the brush and I see a bobcat walking along the edge of the closest food plot. I step into the house and come out with a gun that I shoot the cat with. It was a fairly distant shot and it typical cat behavior at the hit it jumped straight up in the air and came down in a heap.

I looked at my "Hello Kitty" fan, not knowing what to expect in response, but all she said was "does this mean we have to eat it!"
Michael
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Bibletotingunslinger wrote:,and last year the grand daughter and step mom went squirrel hunting.
Hope you gave her a good stew recipe for them. ;)
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Well done Mr Mike ! I do like the follow up question !
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Missionary wrote:Well done Mr Mike ! I do like the follow up question !
I answered, "absolutely!" She knows I'm full of it though.
Michael
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Zippy, I might need a recipe....The squirrels in this country are extremely small.

Back in the 80's, we were all camped in a big group, kind of a shooting thing. I never thought my daughter paid attention at all.
We all got in this guys truck with empty water jugs and headed for the spring. We left all the kids with the neighbors wife, and 5000 BB's.
When I got back I saw all the kids standing around the back of my truck, tail gate down, a board with squirrel hides all stretched out, the salt shaker and a dozen squirrels in the refrigerator in the RV. She was the oldest then, about 12.
They all had baseball caps with a squirrel tail tied on the back,,,,,,, :D Those were the good old days....
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Ranch Dog wrote:When my grandkids moved to the ranch, I spent a lot of time with my 10 year old granddaughter in these matters as I thought with her being city raised she might have a problem with the killing that takes place on my place.

I looked at my "Hello Kitty" fan, not knowing what to expect in response, but all she said was "does this mean we have to eat it!"
I have one Grandson, I have same thoughts about him. I have faith he will be shooting.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Grand dads soon become the hero of little fellers. Especially when they see a sincere person who really cares for them. Yea.. he will see grand dad enjoying the hobby and want to be a part.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Bibletotingunslinger wrote: :D Those were the good old days....
Does not get any better than wholesome family activities outdoors, without a glowing electronic device anywhere in sight. :D
Parents seem overly distracted these days, so it's up to us grandparents to expose the munchkins to the simple pleasures.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

We gotter done, home, learned 2 very important lessons, yall may know already, but tell you any way.
The place we planned on looked like a WalMart parking lot.
So we went higher and found a beautiful place all to our selves.
I may post pic later. Grandson is addicted to squirrel hunting.
Daughter and Son in Law still argue over who is the better shooter.
We all gained fat rinkles,
At high altitude, almost 10,000 feet, I get winded quick. Lesson one.
The other is a gun thing. Springer Air Rifles get sick at 10,000 feet.
Next time its 22s and such......

Should I ever venture to sea level, I will bring my Diana.