Boar vs. R92 480 Ruger

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Boar vs. R92 480 Ruger

Post by zippy »

Too bad it's not as simple as modifying the standard game feed formula, like the way vitamin D is added to enrich milk. I guess getting the dosage high enough is problematic.

Judging from the stories of the hog population explosion here in the Carolinas, there needs to be a fresh approach to control. There was a 700 pound boar taken in an adjoining county last year.

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/d ... hp?id=4814

Good luck controlling your destructive pests.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

zippy wrote:Too bad it's not as simple as modifying the standard game feed formula, like the way vitamin D is added to enrich milk. I guess getting the dosage high enough is problematic.

Judging from the stories of the hog population explosion here in the Carolinas, there needs to be a fresh approach to control. There was a 700 pound boar taken in an adjoining county last year.

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/d ... hp?id=4814

Good luck controlling your destructive pests.
The problem is the MSG does the same to anything that eats it in the dosage that is required (including us).

That is a big hog. You all have some big bears as well.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ranch Dog wrote:I think it is so weird that the State agencies spend so much time and money trying to find a "government" solution to this problem, I guess no different than anything else they are trying to resolve. They do this when the solution in this State is simple; lift the restrictions on providing feral hogs to the food banks. No different that the "Hunters For The Hungry" programs. Feral hogs would cease to exist if they did this. Most of the issue with eradication is the basic human feeling of wasting something that is edible. For this reason not enough hogs are being killed and you cannot have hog control unless you can get past this. You must be able to drop one, leave it, and move on to the next one.

This simple step could solve two problems but government agencies don't like resolves that don't support or further complicate the bureaucracy while sustaining or growing their payroll.
+1
can I get an Amen from the congregation.

Years ago when the 'yotes started causing sheep trouble here in SW Ohio every body complained but nobody wanted folks to hunt them. You know the problem "not in my back yard, maybe the other guys". I think I see more coyotes as road kill than anything else.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well heck, durn if I didn't get a 2 4 1!!!

This morning there were a bunch of buzzards along the brushline that would have been directly behind the hog that I shot and my dad thought that I probably hit two. I told him "nah" as I needed to run quite a few errands in Victoria today. When I got home this afternoon there was probably 35 buzzards at the spot so I walked over to look. About 10 yards inside the brush there was another large boar! This would have been a total of approximately 25 yards behind the first hog I shot, 10 yards inside solid thick brush. The bullet actually cut down a 1" mesquite sapling immediately before it hit this hog. The bullet struck and exited just before the hips and immediately below the spine. I suspect he was dead as quickly as the first as there was absolutely no sign that he struggled. My wife confirmed that the three other boars that were visible at the shot left the scene so there was a total of five boars working together. Crazy!
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:This simple step could solve two problems but government agencies don't like resolves that don't support or further complicate the bureaucracy while sustaining or growing their payroll.
Bureaucracy exists to promote and further itself.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I read in this month's NRA American Hunter that Missouri wants to shut down hog hunting on State lands because their Wildlife Dept says they can control them better than hunters can by trapping complete sounders rather than shooting individual hogs. Well, what they fail to understand is that those lands and the animals do not belong to a select group of employees but rather the public. I suspect that they, those select employees, do not allow the public to trap. That should change, the public should be allow to trap them as well.

Anybody MO familiar with what is going on?

I think the WMAs in Texas should be open for unlimited feral hog hunting outside the deer & bird seasons.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The last two days I've had a sow out feeding just a short distance from my house on the powerline that runs to my home. I plant this easement with a variety of things for the winter. She is in what is left of the wheat shucking the seeds off the stems. I think she has seven little piglets with her, they are so small it is tough to count. This is the view from my master bedroom window except that I'm outside on the breezeway. The building at the brushline is an irrigation well, the well that is plumbed to my food plots.

Last night Buster was back around midnight. This is a large boar that I thought might have joined up with the rascals that caused all the damage last week. He apparently is smart enough to know trouble is about to happen and was gone five days.

I had gotten up to "water" about midnight last night and Buster was out at the "moonlit" feeder so I sat down and watched him. Just as I was getting ready to go back to bed I saw one of the sow's piglets race out into the lighting. The boar immediate rushed the young one and tossed it back into the brush. At the height of its arc it was about 6' in the air! Never seen anything like that. In that I was inside I could not hear what was going on but he was quite %@*&$ off and braced facing the brush, I suspect the sow was giving him hell. In a flash he charged into the dark brush and I could see sticks flying. I think he was going to teach her a thing or two about occupying his space.
Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

I'm glad Buster is still around. They say pigs are smarter than dogs and I've been fortunate enough to share my life with some pretty smart dogs. It seems you and Buster have developed a symbiotic relationship: he doesn't root up you fields and you don't shoot him. Also, he doesn't want other pigs in there rooting up the fields that might be blamed on him. He's kind of the "watch hog" of your yard.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

He is still out here at night. Walking around my extended yard which is several acres. Hopefully he doesn't go rouge.
Michael
coyotebc

Post by coyotebc »

I would love a 480 for a camp gun slash quad gun