Once in a life time hunt with a model 12

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Once in a life time hunt with a model 12

Post by Moon Tree »

My best friend of 35+ years, Brian invited me to squirrel hunt with he and his father-in-law, Arvis some 30 years ago. I had met Arvis on a couple of occasions. He was a WWII vet and a prisoner of war during his service. He was a little contrary and set is his ways, but he had a right to be. I grew to love this old guy.

The plans for the hunting weekend was I'd arrive at Arvis's house mid-day Saturday for an evening hunt. Brian would join us before daylight on Sunday. Immediately, Arvis wanted to access my firearm choice. I had a scoped Remington.22 pump rifle. I was younger with better eyes and a steadier hand, so felt comfortable with my choice of firearms. Arvis would have nothing to do with with my choice of firearms. "Boy, we're hunting tall, virgin timber. You need a gun that will to the top of those big tree." I'm thinking, I'm can shoot minute-of-squirrel at 50 yards. How tall can those tree be in Kentucky? Arvis goes to his gun stash bring me a model 12 full chock 30 inch barrel. I say, "Arvis, I would honored to hunt with you shotgun."

I harvested 5 or 6 squirrels that evening and Arvis took just as many. They sure tasked good.

Arvis, later hooked me up with some deer hunting property where I collected a nice 9 pointer. ..Of course I swung by his house to show off the deer and take some photos (sorry those were in "film days) We, also, hunted together for rabbit several times with his beagles. He always had top notch dogs.

Arvis could never remember my name. He would always ask Brian, "How your friend, whose the good hunter, doing." Brian would reply, "You mean Dave?" "Yeah. Dave."

If I shoot the next Boone/Crocket record buck next year it will not mean as much to me as the old hunter/WWII vet calling me a "good hunter" Rest in Peace, Arvis. I know you have a pack of fox hounds keeping you awake at night and beagles keeping you busy from dawn to dusk.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Once in a life time hunt with a model 12

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great story. World won't be the same without the Arvis'.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Once in a life time hunt with a model 12

Post by akuser47 »

I love it and it hits personal because of the model 12 relevance to me. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!