small game with a .22 pistol - then and now

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Steve-R
Supporter
Supporter

Re: small game with a .22 pistol - then and now

Post by Steve-R »

A few years ago a life long friend of mine was in town, he was showing me his latest issued pistol and I was showing him my version of pistol that I used to teach in carry class. It was 20 rounds of 40 S&W, tactical light, adjustable laser strobe, night sights incase laser failed, Iron sights that made it easy to rack the slide in case the operator had an arm blown off by the bad guys plasma rifle.

Well he looked at it and said "D//mn Steve, you have all this fancy s????t and you will never get to shoot anybody with it!" He is no doubt (and hopefully right) because I live with/sleep with/go everywhere with 7 rounds of .380 Auto in a simple Glock 43 with express sights for crude but fast aiming.
Chiefeis

Post by Chiefeis »

Ok, so I'm sort of settled in and able to come up for air. I just love getting to a new unit and finding it all jacked up. LOL.

To clarify - I think that revolvers are pistols. I didn't even realize that there were people out there who didn't. Guess I didn't get the memo. ;)

Re: squirrel hunting - waaay back when (late 70s) I got an Ithaca M49 .22 Saddlegun for Christmas. I think I was 12. My brother (who got a matching one) and I took out a lot of squirrels and rabbits using .22 Shorts. It's amazing how everyone seems to need some sort of long range super-sniper rifle these days. I don't know how we were able to hunt without one. :lol:
TheWhiteMexican

Post by TheWhiteMexican »

Not enough squirrels to go hunting and I lost interest in rabbits unless I get a craving for them, but I too learned to shoot on a 70's era single-six. Just took it back out of storage to polish it off since I got some hold traps and need to take care of a skunk that's been cleaning my chicken coop out.