Another Hog, This One With A Savage 340

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another Hog, This One With A Savage 340

Post by Ranch Dog »

This evening I went out into pasture to check on some areas that I've restored the native grasses that favor bobwhite quail. I started this work last year in a program that the Nature Conservatory. The trouble with the natives is that the hogs love it. This area is about 400 yards from my house so I timed a circuitous route to put me on the west side of it right at sunset so that the sun would be on the horizon behind me. I arrived on time and squatted were the native grass is blending with brushline but as I did I worried that any shot could possible be very long. I no sooner thought that and I saw a very large hog enter the native grass about 300 yards out from me and she was coming directly towards me.

I rocked over on to my knees and rotated slowly to shoot. I figured she would start to curve across in front of me, stopping the direct to me movement, as she followed the terrain. As she did that she stopped about 130 yards out. The Weaver K4 Scout crosshairs were already tight on her rib cage immediately along the aft edge of her shoulder. BOOM!!! The 30-30 Win did good, it knocked her down but she got back up. I had already chambered another round, love the short bolt stroke, as she started to run away from me I was on her but some brush got in the way. As she came out, about 165 yards away moving uphill, I settled the crosshairs on the back of her head between the ears, figuring the bullet would drop but hit something... BOOM!!! She rolled up in a ball. I hit exactly on the root of the tail. She went down and was done given the double lung hit.

Image[hr]
Haven't said much about this rifle on the forum but I bought a Savage 340 to make into a "scout" rifle. I simply JB Weld'd a Win M94 IER base on the barrel plus added a couple of odds and ends. Ended up with a great ranch rifle that is a tack driver.

Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Another Hog, This One With A Savage 340

Post by Moon Tree »

RD, did I read this correctly--you attached the scope mount to the barrel with JD weld?

Great shooting. Thanks for sharing.
Dave
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Wow, that sounds like a JB Weld commercial. Good Job and great story.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Moon Tree wrote:RD, did I read this correctly--you attached the scope mount to the barrel with JD weld?
Yeap sure did, not that uncommon. XS sells a complete line of their bases that are epoxied on. You can read about my work here: Lee Loader Forum: A Scout Rifle Is Made... Savage 340
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Great work! I was unaware that JB weld was strong enough to hold a scope.

...and I agree about the short bolt throw.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Yeehah! I didn't realize how much I missed my dose of vicarious hunting. +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Great work! I was unaware that JB weld was strong enough to hold a scope.

...and I agree about the short bolt throw.
I used it on my Rossi R92 based on what a gunsmith told me. This fellow installs scout mounts on hard recoil rifles, he did my R92 480 Ruger, but he won't do the work if the owner will not allow him to JB Weld them down. He works with the XS Clifton Mounts, they recommend Brownells ACRAGLAS® but don't advertise the strength of their product. The gunsmith states that if it was really strong they would. He has reversed engineered the product from the label and say's that JB Weld is much tougher.

Brownells ACRAGLAS® (approximate):
Flex Strength: 5600 PSI
Tensile Strength: 2800 PSI
Melts: 250°

JB Weld:
Flex Strength: 7320 PSI
Tensile Strength: 3960 PSI
Melts: Continuous 500°, up to 10 minutes at 600°

The temperature extremes differences are just as large.
Michael
Mrlucky353

Post by Mrlucky353 »

Good hunting story.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Great shooting Michael! Did I miss the part where you told us what projectile you used here? Just wondering if you are using cast in the Savage 340.

Frank
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Mrlucky353 wrote:Good hunting story.
Thanks!
Steelbanger wrote:Great shooting Michael! Did I miss the part where you told us what projectile you used here? Just wondering if you are using cast in the Savage 340.
Haven't had the time to get to cast yet. The bullet was a Speer 150-grain HCRN using 33.0-grains of Varget for 2250 FPS. Hopefully I will move on to cast bullets soon.
Michael