Another Hog, This One With A Savage 340

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Another Hog, This One With A Savage 340

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote:
klr wrote:Great work! I was unaware that JB weld was strong enough to hold a scope.

...and I agree about the short bolt throw.
I used it on my Rossi R92 based on what a gunsmith told me. This fellow installs scout mounts on hard recoil rifles, he did my R92 480 Ruger, but he won't do the work if the owner will not allow him to JB Weld them down. He works with the XS Clifton Mounts, they recommend Brownells ACRAGLAS® but don't advertise the strength of their product. The gunsmith states that if it was really strong they would. He has reversed engineered the product from the label and say's that JB Weld is much tougher.

Brownells ACRAGLAS® (approximate):
Flex Strength: 5600 PSI
Tensile Strength: 2800 PSI
Melts: 250°

JB Weld:
Flex Strength: 7320 PSI
Tensile Strength: 3960 PSI
Melts: Continuous 500°, up to 10 minutes at 600°

The temperature extremes differences are just as large.
Thanks for the info. This opens up some options for a scout scope mount on my model 65. Have you removed a mount after using the JB Weld? I'm interested in what it does to the bluing. It would be nice if it was reversible in the event I want to sell the rifle.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Thanks for the info. This opens up some options for a scout scope mount on my model 65. Have you removed a mount after using the JB Weld? I'm interested in what it does to the bluing. It would be nice if it was reversible in the event I want to sell the rifle.
The only way to remove it would be to grind it off. You must be certain you want the base on the barrel.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote:
klr wrote:Thanks for the info. This opens up some options for a scout scope mount on my model 65. Have you removed a mount after using the JB Weld? I'm interested in what it does to the bluing. It would be nice if it was reversible in the event I want to sell the rifle.
The only way to remove it would be to grind it off. You must be certain you want the base on the barrel.
That's what I figured. However, I recently removed a brazed front sight from my Enfield. I ground it down to about 1/16" thick and then heated it with a micro torch. Being that it was that thin the heat transferred quickly and I was able to pop it off without putting much heat into the barrel. I wonder if something like that would work with JB?

One way to find out - I have the thin piece of Enfield front sight, a piece of Rossi barrel I cut off my 243, and JB weld. I'll report back in a week if anyone is interested.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeap, that is a great idea.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I ASSume we're all interested. Tests are fun.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ok, the JB Weld is curing now.

BTW, sorry about the thread hijack. If you want, delete my stuff and I'll start a thread when I attempt to separate the two parts.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Ok, the JB Weld is curing now.

BTW, sorry about the thread hijack. If you want, delete my stuff and I'll start a thread when I attempt to separate the two parts.
It is all good, I can split it out later. You might want to let it cure four days to a week.
Michael
pacificpt

Post by pacificpt »

Very interesting rifle. I really like when someone has an idea for a rifle and can work through the problems associated with making one work from existing pieces. Great information, and really nice porker.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thank you! I was a lot of fun working on this. Everyone that has handled the rifle to date has been very impressed with old fellow's new life.
Michael
btoran

Post by btoran »

nice story and outcome. bacon, anyone?
Bruce

Rossi R92 16" SS .357
Lee Classic Turret Press

Don't eat anything bigger than your head!