First Hog for 2016!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Hog for 2016!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Killed a very nice sow about 8:30 last night. She was wandering with five other large sows. Made the 85 yard shot with my 1949 Remington 722 chambered in 300 Savage and she dropped like a rock.

Used the Speer 150-grain HCRN (#2017), pushed with 42.0-grains of Varget at 2635 FPS. This might be the last jacketed bullet kill for this rifle as it is on the short list for load work with my TLC310-165-RF bullet that I designed for this cartridge.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: First Hog for 2016!

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

+1

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Congratulations! That's a great looking rifle too.
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

Michael, what are y'all feeding them critters that makes them come back to your place seemingly every day? If we take a shot at one up here the rest disappear into the woods and will become invisible for weeks at a time...... :?:
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I move around a lot. Here is what I've learned concerning any given sounder of hogs at a given location. If you miss, just make the rifle go bang, they will avoid the location for ten days. If you kill one, no matter how good the location, that sounder that encountered the event will not return for three weeks. Of course other might wanders into the setup but for hunting a given group, that is what I've recorded. I think that is the limit of their gray matter for recording these types of events.

So in other words; you got to keep on your feet and figure out where they moved to.[hr]When I was out last night, the quite, cold night really got to me for some reason. I really thought about how comfortable I am with the brush and the night and really realized that I'm at a place in time that I really don't belong. I know it has a lot to do with the election cycle and all the jerk offs jockeying for position along with all the rhetoric, I just feel really disconnected from the rest of the country but I feel good about it. I really thought about not shooting the hog, just following the sounder as I could have let the quiet night continue forever.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Supper Texas Style!

Skillet fried feral hog tenderloin & potatoes, rice & beans, and avocado slices.

Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Good story and good shootin'. Dinner looks super, too.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
pacificpt

Post by pacificpt »

Really nice sow, should keep people fed for awhile. Interesting how you can at times not want to take the shot and have the hunting part end, and have to start the dragging and butchering part of the episode!
Durf

Post by Durf »

Damn Ranch Dog you got me hungry that looks good. Nice shooting too when I move out of new yorkastan, it will be to a free state with hogs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Durf wrote:Damn Ranch Dog you got me hungry that looks good. Nice shooting too when I move out of new yorkastan, it will be to a free state with hogs.
Thanks. Yeah, that is what I would do.
Michael