R92 Scout Strikes Again!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

R92 Scout Strikes Again!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Was a bit bored with the TV so decided to go outside for a look around. A sounder of hogs came scooting around my lake to work the spillway for frogs and crayfish. Shot this gal at 80 yards. Loving the 45 Colt and Weaver K4 Scout combo. Dropped her like a rock, second one today and number 48 for the year!

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: R92 Scout Strikes Again!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Really digging my R92 Scout! Got another one in the spillway about 9:30 tonight!

Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Great work.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Got up to answer the call of nature last night and ended up shooting #50 last night at 1:10 am. There was 5 young boars at the "Shooting Gallery". Stepped out the door and popped one with the R92 Scout 45 Colt. Funny, my wife and dog don't even wake up at the shot anymore.

The 480 Ruger will start midnight duty next week with my new bullet. Will see if that wakes them.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I am curious as to the penetration and damage that thhe 480 will cause should be a better round yet for hog stopping in their tracks I look forward to your first hog taken with this round.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Bad-dog

Post by Bad-dog »

Good shooting RD!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Got up to answer the call of nature last night and ended up shooting #50 last night at 1:10 am. There was 5 young boars at the "Shooting Gallery". Stepped out the door and popped one with the R92 Scout 45 Colt. Funny, my wife and dog don't even wake up at the shot anymore.

The 480 Ruger will start midnight duty next week with my new bullet. Will see if that wakes them.
You must have some Good Will food bank charities picking up most of that pork to feed the less fortunate.
A steady diet of that stuff and your heart would be pumping more cholesterol than blood.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:You must have some Good Will food bank charities picking up most of that pork to feed the less fortunate.
By law, in that they are an feral species and an omnivore, they cannot enter the food bank system. It is equally difficult to find a processor that will handle them because of the issues with the species and laws that they must deal with. It would be like trying to donate a coyote or raccoon to the food bank or showing up to have it processed into steaks.

Most of Texas is blessed with active "Hunter's For The Hungry" programs, I'm the program's rep in this county, and the State does see a huge amount of deer move into the food banks. They only hold excess meat for 6 months but in that our deer season is 3 months long, the food banks see a steady supply for 9 months out of the year. We see semis leave with excess deer burger to other areas of the State so I'm not sure but the addition of hog burger might have a negative impact on the program, I'm think storage and transportation costs.

These hogs can be taken live to collection sights or auctions, depending on the location you are at, they might have to be held for up to 30 days at your location in that buyers have a circuit they travel and local auctions don't run them through the arena rings most weeks. I've done this and it is very labor intensive, you are going to get hurt, and you will get pennies a pound. Once moved to feed lots, the pigs are fed just like domestic pork for a specified period and then processed like any hog. It is labor intensive and costly for both the trapper and feed lot, I felt the only ones making money are the auction rings.

Hold pens are nasty and the work near them is dangerous. You get a sounder of hogs together and you have your hands full and damned sure don't want to live downwind of them. The flies also develop a pretty good radius of action from their food source. We have all heard the expression "it's like herding cats", no different here except the cats weigh 150 pounds and every one of them is %@*&$ off.

The large ranches have the best answer. They contract with the outfits that use helicopters as part of their setup. They work five days a week, shooting them from the air. They are immediately recovered by a team on ATVs, towed back to a 18 wheeler refrigerated van truck where they enter one end as they were on the hoof and are stored like a packing house on the other end. This meat is sold outside this country. They do the same thing with nilgai.

I took my dad to the big airshow at Oshkosh, WI about 10 years ago and we stayed at a house that a group of aviators from my area rents every year, the residents move out. There was a helicopter pilot that is a hog contractor in the group, I had met him before at the airport but never really talked with him. Very interesting is all I can say. If you have seen any of this on TV, it is not like you saw it. A majority of the pilots fly and shoot by themselves, it is safer that way. Of course, I asked him how many hogs he had killed and he did not have a clue. He did say he had started working with nilgai five years earlier and had kept tabs on them, he had shot 1800.

All this info and numbers might seem horrifying to some but think of trying to live in a place that you could kill 1800 coyotes, rabbits, raccoons, or any other critter, in your pastures in five years time. It is hard to describe the impact feral species are having on my State. I saw my first feral hog in 1972 and it was an oddity but that is sure different now. Hard to travel a road where one is not dead on the side. I think the only folks that might have a understanding of the issue are hunters and land managers in Australia or New Zealand as they have been dealing with feral species for a long time.
pricedo wrote:A steady diet of that stuff and your heart would be pumping more cholesterol than blood.
Not really, it is very lean pork. Domestic pork has intergranular fat but feral hogs have layered fat. It is easily trimmed. They do too much moving to really be fat. I eat more deer than I do beef and more hog than I do deer. In fact, it is a rare day that I do not have some version of hog as a meal. As a 58 year old male that eats it almost every day of the year, I do not have cholesterol issues.
Michael