Whitetail Season Finished Up

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whitetail Season Finished Up

Post by Ranch Dog »

Season ended yesterday here on my place with my dad taking the only deer. The two fellows that I have let hunt in the past just didn't seem to be into the hunt this year so even my antlerless permits went unused. I didn't want to kill a deer on my place this year because of the mule deer I shot a month ago and I'm leaving tomorrow on a week long whitetail hunt deeper into South Texas were the season is still open.

This is the least I've hunted in my lifetime. Kind of weird but only 11 months until it reopens!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Whitetail Season Finished Up

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nine minutes after I posted a large 11 pt walked through my yard. Heavy, dark antlers and he only looked 4 and half years old. Good start for next year!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice hopefully he makes it to next season so you can harvest him.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Ranch Dog wrote:Nine minutes after I posted a large 11 pt walked through my yard. Heavy, dark antlers and he only looked 4 and half years old. Good start for next year!
HaHa... That buck was no fool. He knew whose property he was on and used cammo. Check your game camera.

Happy New Year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I love it when I see a buck that's been in the muck and weeds and moss.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, yesterday didn't end up being so good. In that it was near the first of the month, I went out to fill the feeders and along my west fence where the small acreage hunters are hammering me, I found two bucks within 15 yards of the fence in two places.

This buck was killed about Christmas.

This one would have been killed on the evening of the last day and is a good example of why we cannot wait for daylight to recover a deer. It is also a good example of how your overnight survival is going to be if you hurt yourself without help.

Neither of these deer should have been killed but my neighbors on the west side suck. No telling how many deer these hunters have shot off of my west fence but I know a bullet is sent after every deer they see. The properties are small acreages with no habitat, coastal pastures that have been split up. They bait the fenceline heavily. The Game Warden is impotent unless he catches them in the act and would take a huge amount of time.

I'm not sure what I've going to do about it but I'm going to do something. The best answer is to high fence it but that will hurt me financially. If I was still working, the bulldozers would have started on the opening day of deer season just to really %@*&$ with these fellows. The fence is the best solution because it renders their properties worthless and unsellable.

I'm leaving on a week long hunt and will ponder on this.
Michael
-Zee

Post by -Zee »

Season still open here. Might get out some more.