First deer with a Model 92.

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
-Zee

First deer with a Model 92.

Post by -Zee »

Rancher friend called a couple weeks ago and wanted another cull deer taken from his place. I grudgingly agreed.............and quickly grabbed my gear!

This time it would be a pair of .45 Colts that would go along. One, my 24" Octagon Barreled Rossi Model 92 with tang sight and globe front. The other would be my 6.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley (Casull). Both would be running the same .45 Colt load with a 250gr Hornady XTP over 26.5gr H110 in the case.

Arrived at his place around 3:00 Friday afternoon. We chatted and visited. Discussed guns and what not. Told him I wanted to try and go old school this time. Open sights on both. He said if I could hit it, he trusted that I could kill it. This time, he had bucks in mind. Seems there were two narrow and tall buck he wanted gone. Along with a freak horned 6 point with a dwarfed side. Bucks? I can do bucks. Let's go!

Set up in the same stand as the last couple times. Nothing was moving at first. Then, several does w/ yearlings and axis deer began moving down and through the shooting lanes and clearings. But, nothing close and nothing he wanted shot anyway. So, we waited......and waited. Finally, at just before 5:00, this little guy showed up.

A big 8-Point that was beautifully healthy with a huge body and heavy rack.

Then, the feeder went off and the bucks poured in.

I lost count as they just kept coming and going. But, the Dwarfed Rack buck showed up in the process. He is the one just to the right of the right feeder leg in the picture above.

The feeder was 98 yards away. I could have pushed it with the Rossi, but chose not to. We waited. From the feeder, the Dwarf Rack milled around and finally moved to 70 yards (Black Star below). I readied the Rossi to shoot. Aimed in.........and a coyote or something got every bucks attention. They all spooked and trotted of, except for a small 8 point. Crap!

As the sun set, they slowly milled back in. A handful of 8s and several young spikes. Some 4 points and a doe as well. A herd of axis passed by. But, no cull buck. As the light faded, he finally returned (on the left).

But, he wouldn't come any closer than 80 yards and wouldn't stand still. So, he wandered off through the brush. Appearing to try and flank the feeder and the mass of testosterone present. It was getting too dark to film and too dark for the Ruger. At the last moment, he committed and, circling around, came within range at 65 yards with just enough light to see my front sight.

(path he took)

At the red star, while quartering to me, he looked up at the blind and stopped. Placing the crosshairs of the globe sight on the point of his shoulder................BOOM!

On impact, he instantly crumpled to the ground and rolled on his side. I saw his head turn up once and hold. Then, sink to the ground as he expired.

(where he was at the shot)

And, where he fell.

The stand I was in is over my right shoulder (left side of pic).

A wonderful hunt with a good friend. This is the first deer I've taken with a levergun in 21 years. The last being my Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 Winchester. This is also my first deer ever with a .45 Colt. I was impressed.

We loaded him up and headed for home. I am blessed by gracious and wonderful people who bestow upon me great opportunities and friendship.

TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: First deer with a Model 92.

Post by TinMan »

Great end to a great day. Looking forward to taking one with mine. 8-)
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good shooting and congratulations! Great write up as well, thanks!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice, thanks for sharing
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Great read and documentation, thanks for sharing
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

I greatly enjoyed the story and pictures. Thanks for sharing and congrats.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Mrlucky353

Post by Mrlucky353 »

Great story and great photos.

Thanks for posting!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Great write up.
You know .45 Colt with 26 grains of H110 is more like .45 Super-Colt.
-Zee

Post by -Zee »

Archer wrote:Great write up.
You know .45 Colt with 26 grains of H110 is more like .45 Super-Colt.
Thanks.

26.5gr H110 is the Hodgdon Data Max Load. It's pretty stout, but still on the reservation.

Load was actually originally developed in my Ruger SBH Bisley Convertible.
Last edited by -Zee on 19 Dec 2015 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
-Zee

Post by -Zee »

And thank you all for the kind words.