First deer with my Rossi 92

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
JAHII

Re: First deer with my Rossi 92

Post by JAHII »

Beautiful animal and I think that's a nice rack! Especially interesting to me since I have the same exact weapon. Great job, Bro @
"I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes. If out f**k with me, I'll kill you all."
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
1st Marine Division to Iraqi Tribal Leaders

+guns
afjungemann

Post by afjungemann »

I have been looking around to see if the lever evolution rounds work well with the 92. No issues feeding? This is my dream as well to take it out next season. I used a 30.06 this year and bagged my buck at about 15 yards... a rock could have done that if need be. Out here in the dakotas, shots can end up being a bit further though.
pacificpt

Post by pacificpt »

Really nice buck, should be good eating. Also interested in how the slug performed.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

afjungemann wrote:This is my dream as well to take it out next season. I used a 30.06 this year and bagged my buck at about 15 yards... a rock could have done that if need be.
Isn't that the way deer hunting goes. I go out hunting with my primitive stick bow with my limited range of of 15 to maybe 20 yards and I see deer 30 to 100 yards away. I take out my 270 that I'm comfortable out to 300 yards and I shoot a deer at 15 yards.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
TheWhiteMexican

Post by TheWhiteMexican »

Going to necropost myself a bit, got caught up with life and forgot to check back. :oops:
afjungemann wrote:I have been looking around to see if the lever evolution rounds work well with the 92. No issues feeding? This is my dream as well to take it out next season. I used a 30.06 this year and bagged my buck at about 15 yards... a rock could have done that if need be. Out here in the dakotas, shots can end up being a bit further though.
I don't have any feeding issues, no. I only load up about 5 at a time, so haven't had and "mushing" of the tips either that I read could create issues as well. Bullet did it's job, blew away a lung and the upper portion of the heart and exited. Deer dropped in his tracks and gave a few kicks.

I use almost extensively a 30-06 or one of my 7x57s, but it does get to be a bit too easy sometimes.
Ranch Dog wrote:Very nice! You hunt around Laredo?
Yeah, I hunt Laredo on some small properties the family has. No 200" monsters, but plenty good enough to eat. +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, it is been awhile. I hand wondered where you wandered off to!
Michael
TheWhiteMexican

Ranch Dog wrote:Yeah, it is been awhile. I hand wondered where you wandered off to!
Still here and still have the Rossi, just got busy with work. Got a fresh box of some federal 158's that I'm going to try this year and see how they do. Finished my hornadys and I've heard good things about the feds.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds good, won't be long and we will be out hunting!
Michael
afjungemann

Post by afjungemann »

Glad to see you checking back in. I have a double tag this year so I am planning on getting my Rossi out for walking at minimum. If I had the stones, I would commit and just use my Rossi exclusively but like I said before, most shots around here are 150 yards+ (emphasis on the +).

I am contemplating getting a turkey tag too and using it for that. My brother in law has a circuit judge that my sister gave him on their wedding day. We are talking about going full on cowboy on some turkeys.
TheWhiteMexican

afjungemann wrote:Glad to see you checking back in. I have a double tag this year so I am planning on getting my Rossi out for walking at minimum. If I had the stones, I would commit and just use my Rossi exclusively but like I said before, most shots around here are 150 yards+ (emphasis on the +).

I am contemplating getting a turkey tag too and using it for that. My brother in law has a circuit judge that my sister gave him on their wedding day. We are talking about going full on cowboy on some turkeys.
Where I hunt most of the shots are pretty close in exclusion of one really long shooting lane, but since the brush is so thick on either side of it they'll usually work it down towards me.

I want to take a deer with one of my newer bolt guns, but once I do that I think I'm going to bust the rossi back out. So long as it's sub-50 yards I'm really confident in it. Not sure I could hit a turkey in the head, but I've never gone turkey hunting so who knows.