Picking a Rifle/Caliber for Black Bear

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Picking a Rifle/Caliber for Black Bear

Post by klr »

Black bear are now being sighted in my area. I'm not going to hunt them, but would like a suitable rifle just in case I need to defend myself/family. I doubt I'll ever see one, but it never hurts to buy another rifle. ;)

So, what would be a good cartridge for black bear? Right now I'm looking at 45 Colt, 45-70, or having a Marlin 30-30 rebored to something bigger like maybe 38-55.

I have no idea how big bear get in my area of southern Ohio.

Thanks.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Picking a Rifle/Caliber for Black Bear

Post by Moon Tree »

klr, I'll add my .02 worth of knowledge. I've never hunted bear with any of those calibers. Living in Central KY, we're starting to see an occasional bear in these parts. Eastern KY has had bear season for several years. Most bear sightings here are juvenile males looking for a home range. Although, there have been reports of mature sows with cubs being seen.

I used the "bear issue" as a reason to purchase a couple new firearms. With my research, I determine a .45 colt would meet my needs. My first consideration was I wanted a Blackhawk and 92 in the same caliber, because i knew I would not be able to carry a rifle around farm all the time, where as, I could carry the BH.

Second, I have a pinched nerve in my right shoulder that causes issues all the way down my arm to my trigger finger. A 454 was out of the question and even a full house .44 mag hurts. So, I chose the .45 colt for a bit less pressure while maintaining plenty of energy.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Yep, any of those work for black bear. If you go with a 45, use hot loads.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Up where we go fishing they come around a lot. One came into the camp site this spring up by Strawberry Res.
The guy next to me and us as well turned our big dogs loose, they just barked and the thing ran away.
Fish 'n Game don't like us to shoot them unless we have to, they like to tranquillize them and haul them back up on the mountain a way. They come and got this one that afternoon.
Best thing I got is my Circuit Judge, 230 grain bullet @ 1100 FPS, I spoze I will never know if that's enough until I have to use it. I know my 50 would level one but that's too big to take fishing. I was ready with Cast iron frying pan and a big spoon. +corn
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Moon Tree wrote:
Second, I have a pinched nerve in my right shoulder that causes issues all the way down my arm to my trigger finger. A 454 was out of the question and even a full house .44 mag hurts. So, I chose the .45 colt for a bit less pressure while maintaining plenty of energy.
I feel your pain. I have the Rotator Cuff deal. :(
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Moon Tree wrote: I used the "bear issue" as a reason to purchase a couple new firearms. With my research, I determine a .45 colt would meet my needs. My first consideration was I wanted a Blackhawk and 92 in the same caliber, because i knew I would not be able to carry a rifle around farm all the time, where as, I could carry the BH.
This is what I was thinking as well. I've always wanted a Blackhawk and this would be a good reason/justification/excuse to get one. ;)

I could pick up blem R92 in 45 Colt for $400 and sell my recently acquired 44-40 to cover the cost.

Then again, I'd guess my Savage bolt action in 358 Winchester shooting a 230gr hard cast @ 2200 would do the trick too.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Yep, all of those and don't sell a stout load in the 44-40 short either, but then you do want to get another weapon so press on. :lol:

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Don't have experience hunting bear.
I'd be reaching for the .44 Mag in handgun and that'd probably be the minimum carbine/rifle I'd choose.
MY .45-70 is a bit heavy for carry but that or a 12 gauge with slugs would be preferred over the handgun.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Years back bought a NEI caliber 44 mold to shoot in 44 WCF or 44-40. Big flat nosed bullet that drops at .434 cast of range scrap. I would consider using it in 44WCF with a stout load of 110 or 296 on a Blackie under 50 yards in a solid model 92. That bullet cast of WW will plow through a lot of flesh and bone. Have never recovered one. Range scrap will mushroom to over an inch when pushed to near 44 Mag velocity.
Just my observations shooting 44 WCF for many years. In a solid model 92 it is nearer the 44 Mag than you may think.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.