Taming Squirrels with H&R Tamer

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Taming Squirrels with H&R Tamer

Post by Moon Tree »

With the weather forecast calling for near 60 degrees and a full moon, my wife decided we needed "date night." Her idea for "date night" was a bonfire to burn off one of her raised vegetable beds, grill some burgers, stocked cooler and enjoy the full moon in camp chairs while eating under the stars. Gotta love a woman who'll combine the practical with the romantic; a honey-do list with beer.

I had some split firewood on a trailer at the back of the farm which would need to come to the house.

This fall, I've seen a phenomenon I've not seen in the prior 15 years on the farm, "prairie squirrels." While bow hunting or driving around the farm, I'll see all these grey squirrels in the fields, digging, scampering, digging. Sometimes they have a hickory nut or walnut in their mouth that they were burying other times--not. In my tree stand I've 3 to 6 grey squirrels sit up like prairie dogs in my young winter wheat plots.

Thinking that fried squirrel, squirrel gravy, fried potatoes and biscuits would be a good Black Fried meal, I tossed my H & R .410 Tamer in the truck just in case dinner presented itself to me.

Driving into the back field, I saw no "prairie squirrels". I went about the task of hooking up the trailer. "I"ll just walk up the back wooded fence line and check the feed at the top of the hill, maybe I'll get a shot at a squirrel." Before I got to the fence line, I see a squirrel. He was too far for a .410 shot, but I didn't think he saw me. He was just moving. I cut the distance quickly and pretty quietly, but he spotted me. I shot low and behind him as he ran out a limb. OK it's been awhile since I shot this short stock gun. After practicing bringing the gun to my shoulder a few time and finding the sights, I headed on up the hill where another old fence line of trees T into the back fence. One of bow stands and feeders if at this T. I've seen several squirrels there while deer hunting.

The fallen leaves sound like potato chips with each step. But, the wind is blowing 8 to 10 miles an hour. I walk as quietly as possible with the wind. I see a squirrel moving away from me. He probably saw/heard me but he wasn't leaving out very quickly, just in front of me. With a 12 gauge, he'd been in the pouch. With a short barrel/ short stock 410, I let him go.

I could hear a squirrel cutting on a walnut at the T. I moved up as slowly and quietly as conditions allowed. I see movement--a squirrel on the ground. Scanning the area, I see her on a limb that's abour 10 off the ground (just above the under story of honeysuckle bushes) at 15 yards from me. She's sat down to chew on a hickory nut. Boom... thud.

I keep moving toward the squirrel that's still gnawing on the walnut. As I go by the limb the previous squirrel had been setting on, I made a mental note to mark the spot so I could find that squirrel on my way back to the truck. To my surprise there sat a 2nd squirrel on the same limb, but, now only 7 yards away. I slowly raised the Tamer, aimed an inch off it's nose--Boom... thump.

The squirrel with the walnut was still cutting. I moved up another 10 yards and saw her setting on a limb just above the honeysuckle bushes--Boom...thump.

In less than an hour of an impromptu hunt, I had Black Friday's dinner and 1 1/2 squirrels to be vacuumed seal for later. I call that a good afternoon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Taming Squirrels with H&R Tamer

Post by Jaybm »

Ahh, squirrel and dumplings as only my DIL can fix. Mouth is watering !

Great story Moon, now that's a good looking thumper. ha ha, with my
lil .410 the squirrels don't have much to worry about.

This guy has the run of the neighborhood !

Thanks for sharing ... Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

What a nice evening and it is great that both of you enjoy the outdoors!

Interesting that the Tamer has a rear sight. I really wanted the Tuffy but was like a fish out of the water handling it once I had one. I found the pistol grip very awkward as I could not operate the controls to include cocking the hammer. I had to remove my hand to firing hand to do all that. The only thing I could do was with the firing hand and pistol grip was pull the trigger. Do you have the same issues?

My resolve for my Tuffy was putting a youth stock on the firearm and with that I killed enough raccoons out of my pecan trees that the others figured it wasn't worth the battle.
Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Good eye Ranch Dog. I cut in a dove tail and installed a rear sight from a BB gun on it. I couldn't hit anything with the little groove in the barrel as rear sight. I have no problem cocking it with one hand. The shorter stock is a bit tough for shouldering and getting on target. I've been thinking about trying to add a little more length to it.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.