RD Sr's Whitetail

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

RD Sr's Whitetail

Post by Ranch Dog »

My dad at 86 years old is still out there hunting whitetails. The last couple of years I have sat with him to make sure everything goes well but mainly just to enjoy the outdoors with each other as we both know that there are a lot more years now behind us than there are ahead of us.

My dad has had a bit of a rough go with the hunting last year and at the start this year but he told me he wanted to get one more freezer load of meat because he wasn't sure he would be up to it next year. He missed a good South Texas 11 pointer about a week ago now and I could tell it really bothered him. We headed out again this afternoon, a very pleasant afternoon after some rough frontal weather moved through this morning. About an hour before dark a young 10 point came with along. Typically I would have had him pass on this deer as he is a long ways from the potential he will reach in a couple of years, but I don't know if my dad has a couple of years or if he would want to continue hunting this season as he seems tired. I told him it looked like a real nice deer to me and to shoot it if he felt the same. He did.

My dad is using the Marlin Glenfield 30GT chambered in 30-30 Win that I gave him about 8 years ago, shooting the Ranch Dog TLC311-170-RF pushed along by a max load of BL-C(2). The deer was at 80 yards and my dad hit the buck just across the top of the heart, slicing through the aorta and destroying the bottom half of both lungs. The bullet knocked the buck off his feet and he kicked in place twice and that was it.

This is our 50th hunting season together! I'm very lucky!
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 18 Nov 2015 08:26, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Rifle name corrected
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: RD Sr's Whitetail

Post by mr surveyor »

Your Dad is a real inspiration. Your Dad is also a very "experienced" man .... and you are a lucky man ;)

Thanks for a great bed time story.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Just when I was starting to go into withdrawal, waiting for another installment of Feral Hog Night Stalker, you release your Thanksgiving Special.

It's good to see that you appreciate how blessed you are, and thanks for sharing.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Steelbanger »

Wow RD, you had me ready for a long, tiring season without a happy ending, but your dad came through as he usually does. My congratulations to both hunters. Well done, very well done! Nice buck too.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Memories you'll never forget.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Thanks RD, you made my day !

AK hit the nail on the head about the memories. I can still recall the
days either fishing or hunting with my Dad. Just something about
sharing the time one on one.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Thanks for sharing.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

zippy wrote:Just when I was starting to go into withdrawal, waiting for another installment of Feral Hog Night Stalker, you release your Thanksgiving Special.
That's funny! We did see some hogs at a feeder yesterday afternoon but we let them be as our focus was on a whitetail.
hogs_151117.jpg
My wife's cousin, a 50 something lady, has really gotten interested in hog hunting. I sent her a text with the picture asking her if she would take care of this for me and she instantly replied that she would be here Friday evening for a weekend hunt!

This is really a nice sounder of both boars and sows, right at the point where they stop traveling together. This is probably the sounder that did so much damage a few weeks ago. I see this and see nothing but a moldboard plow that turns dirt. Their head is shaped just like one to do the dirt work.

Pretty much what they look like moving across a field.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

You can never have too much time together with your Dad, nor can a Dad have too much time together with his son. Thanks for reminding us all what's really important. And how great is it that when you sit to eat the bounty, the stories of that day will surely be revisited. And best of all, your Dad gets the bragging rights! :)
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Okie44

Post by Okie44 »

Great story. Good times not easily forgotten.
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain