Opening Day of Deer Season

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Opening Day of Deer Season

Post by mr surveyor »

Yep, today is the day ..... was the day. One final check of the "hour by hour" weather forecast last night was discouraging enough to push the cancel button. Sure enough, we had thunderstorms and heavy rain from 0400 until 0900, and still steady light rain through early afternoon (as of me typing this). Three inches in the rain gauge, so far, but the rain is expected to stop around 5:00 pm :roll: .

I hope others had a better opening day than we did.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Opening Day of Deer Season

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

So, are you headed out after it clears up? You taking the 44mag? Hope alls well that ends well for ya jd
Last edited by NavyDoc76-80 on 08 Nov 2015 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, heavy thunderstorms and lightning at 6:00 am here.

My nephew is getting married today so I wasn't going to hunt. Down at the very southern tip of Texas. Rained heavy all the way down US 77.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I've got my stand set up for the .44 mag, with nice shooting lanes and pvc pipe feeders. Down in a pretty heavy wooded bottom, but unfortunately (or fortunately) very few acorn bearing oaks. We've only been filling the feeders for 3 weeks or so, mixing corn and Golden Nugget berry flavored pellets, but we can't seem to keep the feeders full. My hunting buddy had an electric feeder about 300 yards up hill from my stand last year that faithfully deposited 40-50 lbs of corn on the ground over a months time, and very little sign of deer finding it. Adding the berry scented pellets seems to have made a difference at his stand since we rigged up a couple of pvc pipe feeders for him and he can't seem to fill them fast enough.

It looks like the rain may be about done for the day, so if I can track down my buddy we may run out there and check the feeders and see if my stand is still on dry ground. We still have seven or eight weeks and much better hunting weather ahead, so I guess there's no real press. I may just hunt with a camera for a few trips anyway.

jd

edit before posting .... RD, it looks like this stuff will be moving East in the next few hours and long range forecast is looking pretty dry for a week or so.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I will be hunting with my dad. I probably will not kill a deer on my place this year in that I was drawn for the TPWD whitetail & mule deer hunts.
Michael
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

Alarm went off at oh-dark-thirty...looked outside to find it raining. I used to go up to Missouri every year for the entire deer season (usually about two weeks) which meant if you wanna hunt your gonna get rained/snowed/etc. on. Since I now hunt in Texas (which has a two month+ season) I went back to bed....I figure that I've been rained on enough in my life. ;)
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
f100cleveland

Post by f100cleveland »

Wow 2 month season. Ours is 10 day now but up to a few years ago it was either a 2 day or second was 4 day. You got your choice first or second to hunt. Smoke pole runs longer
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

f100cleveland wrote:Wow 2 month season. Ours is 10 day now but up to a few years ago it was either a 2 day or second was 4 day. You got your choice first or second to hunt. Smoke pole runs longer
Wow, 2 day or 4 day? With that short time span it musta sounded like world war three up there. As to our season.....this year my county limits us to just four deer each. So for getting meat in the freezer it is pretty sweet. The general season began Nov 7th and runs thru Jan 3rd. And there is an additional "bonus" season for spike/antlerless only from Jan 3rd thru Jan 17th. In my county there is a limit of four deer this year.........trouble is there really ain't much hunting to it. Ya see, they allow folks to hunt over feeders down here.........so it's more like culling the herd........but like I said, it puts meat in the freezer. :D
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

The po-po will lock you up putting out corn to bait deer on public lands but it's allowed on private. Go figure. With a six bag limit though, plenty for all.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

If you are a Managed land here in Texas, the season length & bag limit can get pretty weird. I a Managed Land I so my land mirrors the County season as does my buck harvest (2 bucks here). My antlerless limit is based on the permits that are issued for my property. I've killed up to a dozen deer on my place because I could not find anyone that would use the permits. If you are a MLD III, your season runs from September first through the end of February and the bucks & does limit is the MLD tags. If you are issued MLD tags you don't use the tags off your hunting license.
Michael