Nice Rub!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice Rub!

Post by Ranch Dog »

I spent a bit of time this year prepping a new hunting spot for my dad. It is at the top of of a drainage that slowly leads to a creek. The deer travel the drainage and use this point to disperse across a wide area of native South Texas brush. I had a bulldozer clear and root plow a fan shaped acre and a half food plot leaving only the young live oaks and red cedars. The live oaks drop a tremendous volume of acorns every year, even the really young trees, and the bucks love sparing against the noble opponent known as the red cedar.

I do not go into this spot very often but had to go by it two days in a row. During the 24 hour period somebody had quite a sparring match with a three trunk cedar!

All three side where peeled like a banana!
Michael
Okie44

Re: Nice Rub!

Post by Okie44 »

That is a nice rub.
I thought you added a cooking section! :mrgreen:
“Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement.”
― Mark Twain
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okie44 wrote:That is a nice rub.
I thought you added a cooking section! :mrgreen:
Haah... all in the word play!
Michael
TinMan
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by TinMan »

There seems to be plenty of those up this way also. I don't hunt horns so I'm hoping that the bucks will push a couple of nice fat does within range this year..... ;)
"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

"Fight only when you must. But if it's unavoidable.....fight like your the third monkey trying to get on the Ark."
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice looks like a great spot
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Looks like you are setting your dad up in a good place.
Any apple trees within a couple miles ? Rub your gear and self with apples each time out. I have deer trail me to my tree stands and lick the foot pegs where my boot made contact.
A feller I hunt with uses apple juice in a spray bottle. I am just to thrifty to buy it. My neighbor in ILLinois has apple trees and is thrilled I will pick up the wind falls.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Missionary wrote:Greetings
Looks like you are setting your dad up in a good place.
Any apple trees within a couple miles ? Rub your gear and self with apples each time out. I have deer trail me to my tree stands and lick the foot pegs where my boot made contact.
A feller I hunt with uses apple juice in a spray bottle. I am just to thrifty to buy it. My neighbor in ILLinois has apple trees and is thrilled I will pick up the wind falls.
Mike in Peru
Nope, no apple trees in South Texas. I've set apples out for them in the past, different types of fruit as well, and it ends up rotting. I guess they are not use to this stuff.
Michael
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

I have a small apple orchard and the deer have been in it everyday for a month now. I never thought of rubbing apples on me. I;ll have to try that. Nov 21st is our opening day. I haven;t seen any bucks yet but 5 does and my wife thinks they are her pets. They let her get real close while they eat apples.