Texas Wildlife Management Area Drawings

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Texas Wildlife Management Area Drawings

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm a pretty lucky dude this year as I was drawn for both a whitetail and then a mule deer hunt on the two premium properties for such hunting within the State!.

The whitetail hunt will be the first week of January on the Chaparral WMA near Artesian Wells in LaSalle & Dimmit Counties. I'm leaning towards my Rio Grande chambered in 38-55 Win for this hunt.

The desert mule deer hunt is on the first week of December on the Elephant Mountain WMA south of Alpine in Brewster County. Thinking about hunting with my R92 chambered in 45 Colt on this hunt. The lightweight rifle coupled with the saddle ring sling carry would be perfect for the desert mountain hunting. I'm very comfortable shooting big game out to 200 yards with this rifle.
Michael
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Texas Wildlife Management Area Drawings

Post by rman »

Ranch Dog wrote:I'm a pretty lucky dude this year as I was drawn for both a whitetail and then a mule deer hunt on the two premium properties for such hunting within the State!.

The whitetail hunt will be the first week of January on the Chaparral WMA near Artesian Wells in LaSalle & Dimmit Counties. I'm leaning towards my Rio Grande chambered in 38-55 Win for this hunt.

The desert mule deer hunt is on the first week of December on the Elephant Mountain WMA south of Alpine in Brewster County. Thinking about hunting with my R92 chambered in 45 Colt on this hunt. The lightweight rifle coupled with the saddle ring sling carry would be perfect for the desert mountain hunting. I'm very comfortable shooting big game out to 200 yards with this rifle.
You are lucky RD! How about that Remington 600 in .35 Rem for the mule deer hunt?
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Better play the state lottery for some cash, beens your mojo is so strong at the moment. Congrats I look forward to the stories from your hunts.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

rman wrote:You are lucky RD! How about that Remington 600 in .35 Rem for the mule deer hunt?
Actually, it could qualify as well fit for either!
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Sounds like a good hunting season brewing.
Any one of those listed calibers will serve well.
With Texas drawing your name does that mean you get placed at the bottom and have to wait to get moved up slowly ?
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Congrats RD, take both guns, I aint saying why,,,
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Missionary wrote:Greetings
Sounds like a good hunting season brewing.
Any one of those listed calibers will serve well.
With Texas drawing your name does that mean you get placed at the bottom and have to wait to get moved up slowly ?
Mike in Peru
Yeah, means I start over so I doubt I will get these two hunts again. I do better on the National Wildlife Refuges but have now gone two years without being drawn for my nilgai hunt which is a bummer. Texas public hunting system is awful. I never recommend moving here to anyone that is a hunter. Much better places to be. If you cannot afford a lease, you are not going to hunt. The trouble with leases are they have become extremely hard to find as the population continues to rise and the habitat disappears.
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Deer season just opened today for eastern NC. 6 bag limit for season, can be harvested in one day if so inclined. Of the six no more than four can have antlers. All six can be antler-less. Man would I love to report my first deer here as it didn't happen last year, so we will see.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, I hope you do good!
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Same to ya RD
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C