R44MBS Single Shot vs. Feral Hog

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

R44MBS Single Shot vs. Feral Hog

Post by Ranch Dog »

It didn't work out to well for the latter of the two.

This fellow and his partner chased my three legged dog two nights ago so prior to dark, I put out a string of corn from the brush line that they came and went from all the way up to the house. By 10:00 they had not come back but we had had a pretty good rain yesterday so I figured that they were running behind as the rain brings out the small bull frogs that are worth chasing and eating. I also can make myself get up so I set the internal alarm on each hour. At 11:00, nothing, and then at midnight, nothing, so I went to the bathroom and on the way back to the bed I looked back out and saw a boar eating along the corn-line back to the house!

After slipping on my jeans, I slipped out the door and immediately did not like the slight drift of air from uphill to downhill (toward the hog). I quietly and quickly slipped through the garage and out into the barn. The hog was coming up the corn-line quick and as I put the crosshairs on him he gave a quick grunt, picked his head up, and bolted. That column of air that was flowing toward him as I stepped out the door had reached them and they have only one reaction to human scent and that is exactly what he did.

I stayed put with the gun across the thread of my tractor's tire and about three minutes later I saw him walking back towards the corn-line. As he put his head down to grab a bite, I put the crosshairs on I thought would put the bullet through his heart and took the quartering to me shot. He bolted and as he ran another boar ran past my line of sight, the other boar that was chasing my dog.

It was immediate dead quiet so I thought that I either had drilled him good through the heart or missed. Hogs tend to be very vocal with a lung hit, they don't go far but you can hear them. I waited about three minutes then turned on the spotlight and saw him about 20 yards away from where I had shot him, dead as a hammer!

The freezer is empty so I took him up the hill to my cleaning station at the range and got to work.

The boar was about as big as they get before they strike out on their own. I suspect that these two fellows were just at the point that they argue about something, usually a sow, and go their own way.

The POI was spot on, the 275-grain lead bullet cut his heart in half.

I quartered him and put him on ice. This all started at midnight and it was 2:45 when I was showered and crawling back in bed. Back up at 7 and soon after at the slaughterhouse where he will become quite a load of hamburger. That is what my wife wanted as it is the most useful when the freezer is empty.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: R44MBS Single Shot vs. Feral Hog

Post by akuser47 »

nice report rd
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Nicely done maybe his partner will give you a twofer in the next day or so.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Nicely done maybe his partner will give you a twofer in the next day or so.

Make smoke,
I will be waiting.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

all I have out my back door are hummingbirds .... and they don't field dress so well :(

I hope you get #2, and let the three legged dog field dress him :)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Nice shootin' Micheal. I'd love to have access to hog hunting, but then again, I'd hate to have them in my backyard.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
TGC

Post by TGC »

GOOD JOB RD!!!
Got blood on your .44 mag.
GreenWolf70

Post by GreenWolf70 »

Maybe you should build a smoke house?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GreenWolf70 wrote:Maybe you should build a smoke house?
But then I would be involved with the cooking and I hate cooking.
Michael
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Ranch Dog wrote:It didn't work out to well for the latter of the two.

The freezer is empty so I took him up the hill to my cleaning station at the range and got to work.

The boar was about as big as they get before they strike out on their own. I suspect that these two fellows were just at the point that they argue about something, usually a sow, and go their own way.

The POI was spot on, the 275-grain lead bullet cut his heart in half.

I quartered him and put him on ice. This all started at midnight and it was 2:45 when I was showered and crawling back in bed. Back up at 7 and soon after at the slaughterhouse where he will become quite a load of hamburger. That is what my wife wanted as it is the most useful when the freezer is empty.
Looking at photo # 3 and to think I was worried about the blood on the ear of a bunny.
We got no pig here, Utah Fish n Game deal,,,Who knows, I'd probably hate it, but I been wanting to kill pig for 20 years. I can't decide what to do it with, I have several choices. Oh well, I got no time. Doc says I can't eat it now. :cry:
Last edited by Bibletotingunslinger on 26 Sep 2015 15:24, edited 2 times in total.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.