Saddle Rifle Scabbard

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Iplayfarmer

Saddle Rifle Scabbard

Post by Iplayfarmer »

Any Horsemen (including Horsewomen) out there? How do you mount your rifle scabbard on your saddle?

I've tried a few different ways to mount my scabbard and they all seem to be in the way of me or my horse.

I'd love to see pictures of how yours are mounted to hopefully give me some ideas how to do it better.

Thank you in advance.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Saddle Rifle Scabbard

Post by Ranch Dog »

+corn
Michael
outsidebear

Post by outsidebear »

Doesn't provide you with western saddle scabbard use info, but...
Not really a scabbard: years ago when I rode using McClellan saddles, carried an 1874 Sharps military carbine (Shiloh Farmingdale, N.Y. .45-70) in a Model 1877 carbine boot. Yes, the butt stock pointing upwards needed to be taken into account when mounting/dismounting, but otherwise it kept the carbine pretty much out of the way. Not a problem hanging up or catching on stuff while going through brush or thick timber, as with the barrel hanging straight down it positioned the carbine's barrel parallel in-line to the back of my right leg. I used either an original 1885 McClellan military saddle or a Model 1913 mule packer's saddle during my riding days.
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

I found a picture of how I currently mount my scabbard. It works okay, but I started this thread because it seems like there is a better way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Why the forward saddle mount I'd prefer rearward mount as to lean back n skin her fast if need be. But maybe it's a preference. I'd tilt it back still under my primary sides leg but towards the rear.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

akuser47 wrote:Why the forward saddle mount I'd prefer rearward mount as to lean back n skin her fast if need be. But maybe it's a preference. I'd tilt it back still under my primary sides leg but towards the rear.
I started with the forward mount for two reasons...
1) It was the first method I tried that actually worked for more than a few seconds of riding.
2) It doesn't get in the way when mounting dismounting.

Tell me more about your suggestion. "By tilt it back" are you talking about putting the butt of the gun by the butt of the horse, or are you suggesting to tilt the gun so that it's more vertical?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

By tilted back I meant towards the rear of the saddle I apologize for no clarification. If placed correctly it should be out of the way for the horse and still accessible as well. In reality probably not any real advantage over your current setup though.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!