Huntng in July?

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Huntng in July?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Killed a nice boar hog this evening with the 92 chambered in 45 Colt. Was watching a bottom made up of live and post oaks, kind of unusual country compared to the cactus and mesquite on the rest of my place. Right at sunset, which was pretty dark in the bottom I saw this fellow about 90 yards out but he disappeared. I sat tight as I wasn't real sure which way he had come or was going. He reappeared about 10 minutes later at 70 yards and it was real dark in the timber but the Weaver K4 Scout put it on him! I shot him through the heart with my 290-grain cast bullet and he ran about 35 yards. He actually hit three oaks head on but picked himself up and kept going. This hog does a good job of matching the wood on the Rossi, nice Brazilian hardwood brown ;)

Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Huntng in July?

Post by akuser47 »

Nice shot there hard to get a good clean kill in twilight not alone darkness setteing in. Keep it up you are fighting a never ending battle against the wild hog infestation causeing alot of problems in texas. Glad you are doing your part. love the stories and results from your stories.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

That Weaver Scout Scope actually looks pretty neat on the R92/.45LC.
Nice animal.
I might head south on a hog hunt in September.
Good time to "blood" the Rehabilitated Remlin Guide Guns.
Hogs should show up in the Leupold 2-7x33m scopes pretty good.
One thing I don't like about the scout scopes is the limited magnification.
Most are from 2x-3x and the Weaver Scout I looked at on a Rossi M92/.454 Casull (not mine) was 4x.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Bad-dog

Post by Bad-dog »

Nice pig and good shooting
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Despite the heat and drought earlier this year, this hog was as slick and fat as possible. The picture shows the exit wound side, looking it I see the trauma created by the "round, flat" nose. My load is pushing out at 1775 FPS at the muzzle. What gets me about these short cartridge rifles is that with the mild report at the shot, I always hear the hit and it is quite impressive. The blood trail was painted on everything. I see a lot of hogs shot and sometimes they are very tough to follow but not so with a slow moving bullet with a lot of meplat.

For those interested, here is the terminal ballistic calculations for this little 1.6" cartridge...

and the bullet, it should be actual size if your browser is at 100%...

pricedo wrote:That Weaver Scout Scope actually looks pretty neat on the R92/.45LC.Hogs should show up in the Leupold 2-7x33m scopes pretty good. One thing I don't like about the scout scopes is the limited magnification. Most are from 2x-3x and the Weaver Scout I looked at on a Rossi M92/.454 Casull (not mine) was 4x.
I've really been taken with the Weaver K4 Scout. It is meeting my needs perfectly and yes, I didn't like the low magnification of the other offerings either. I was originally worried about the limited field of view but as a scout setup comes to shoulder you are already on target. I've killed a half dozen hogs now with both my 44 Mag and 45 Colt and it is as natural as it comes. My 480 Ruger is in NE being fitted up with one. My gunsmith said I was right on the money with my need to epoxy the mount down. He said it is a must with heavy recoiling guns. I bought a like new K4 Scout this morning from a fellow for a $130 and I'm pleased as can be as that saves me about $56! That scope will go on a 357 Mag (56-002) if they ever appear.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I find the Burris bases and the Redhead or Warne rings featuring the Torx screws a lot more solid than the cheap Weaver mounts and rings with the flathead screws that strip out if you tighten them with any authority.
The Burris bases are 2x the money but 1/10 the aggravation down the road from loosening screws.
The Clydesdale (Savage .375 RUM) bucked it's first Weaver base off like a rag doll off a fly bit Appaloosa after 3 shots and the resulting buffeting shook the Bushnell scopes internals loose.
I have a Leupold scope fastened with Warne rings and a solid Burris 1-piece base on The Clydesdale now and I'm going to give it a try without Locktite and if it needs Locktite I'll use it as a last resort.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA