And, Another One!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

And, Another One!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Reference my other post, I might be running behind on my Rossi to-do list but the little R92 44 Mag just thumped a pretty nice sow!

I had taken my dog out for a pee prior to hitting the sack and we both went on "point" when we stepped outside. We could hear hogs at a feeder pen 70-yards from the door. Shining a spot-light on the pen confirmed a very large sounder of sows and piglets! I grabbed the rifle and tried to identify a worthy target but it was pitch black out there. My spotter, my wife, is visiting her sister in PA so I was on my own. I haven't trained my dog to hold the light yet. I thought about calling my dad out but things tend to never end well, remember I said that.

I slowly moved out half the distance to the pen but still could not see a thing. So, I turned back to the house and called my dad. I told my dad to put the light on the feeder in 3 minutes and do not turn it off. In the allotted time, the light came on but he was shinning it to one side of the feeder where he could see some hogs but it didn't do me any good. The light went out, so I quickly moved half the distance to the feeder and sure enough, the light came back on. There was a large sow quartering to me at 35 yards so I shot her low at the junction of the shoulder and neck. I immediately ran toward the feeder hollering so that pigs in the pen would run to the back and I managed to trap about 20 of all sizes. I could see large sows on both sides of me outside the pen but the light was giving me the advantage. I was starting to wire the pen shut when it went pitch dark. My dad turned out the light. Man it was dark and immediately I could hear the sows bouncing off the sides of the pen trying to get to their hogs. The clock was ticking, I turned and ran like a little girl!

While I was running, I had a fawn come up off the ground between my feet. I managed to keep running but for a second there I thought the hogs had me. Sure is nice to have a light weight carbine in hand in a situation like this so you don't have to leave it behind! I walked over to my dad's to see what his story was. He didn't see or hear any of it and just got tired of holding the light up. I've got'ta teach my dog to hold the light!
Michael
Bad-dog

Re: And, Another One!

Post by Bad-dog »

Sounds like you had some fun! what load are you using in the 44?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Reference my other post, I might be running behind on my Rossi to-do list but the little R92 44 Mag just thumped a pretty nice sow!

I had taken my dog out for a pee prior to hitting the sack and we both went on "point" when we stepped outside. We could hear hogs at a feeder pen 70-yards from the door. Shining a spot-light on the pen confirmed a very large sounder of sows and piglets! I grabbed the rifle and tried to identify a worthy target but it was pitch black out there. My spotter, my wife, is visiting her sister in PA so I was on my own. I haven't trained my dog to hold the light yet. I thought about calling my dad out but things tend to never end well, remember I said that.

I slowly moved out half the distance to the pen but still could not see a thing. So, I turned back to the house and called my dad. I told my dad to put the light on the feeder in 3 minutes and do not turn it off. In the allotted time, the light came on but he was shinning it to one side of the feeder where he could see some hogs but it didn't do me any good. The light went out, so I quickly moved half the distance to the feeder and sure enough, the light came back on. There was a large sow quartering to me at 35 yards so I shot her low at the junction of the shoulder and neck. I immediately ran toward the feeder hollering so that pigs in the pen would run to the back and I managed to trap about 20 of all sizes. I could see large sows on both sides of me outside the pen but the light was giving me the advantage. I was starting to wire the pen shut when it went pitch dark. My dad turned out the light. Man it was dark and immediately I could hear the sows bouncing off the sides of the pen trying to get to their hogs. The clock was ticking, I turned and ran like a little girl!

While I was running, I had a fawn come up off the ground between my feet. I managed to keep running but for a second there I thought the hogs had me. Sure is nice to have a light weight carbine in hand in a situation like this so you don't have to leave it behind! I walked over to my dad's to see what his story was. He didn't see or hear any of it and just got tired of holding the light up. I've got'ta teach my dog to hold the light!
You've really been wackin & stackin em lately.
I sure hope you like pork chops. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Pig culling at it's best !! Nothing like a late night run to get the system awake.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

well glad you didn't get hit by a pig they can mess you up just put some pedistals that can retain the grip I have used PVC pipe to do this I lived in a shack out in nowhere close to CORSICANA texas I even pounded some PVC into the ground as holders so I could light them up and lay them down all by myself. cheap enough and not perm. either so you can move them cheap mobile light mounts
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
That PVC pipe is an interesting idea. Would be good out on the back area.
Could duct tape a light to the carbine. Have done that to several rifles/ carbines over the years. Does not seem to affect accuracy for those close shots that are at night.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.